September 22, 2008: Birdhouses Continued

The birdhouses are painted. I'm not quite finished with them as the bases haven't yet been attached, and they need a couple of coats of clear acrylic spray, but Frugal Girl wants pictures. I adore Frugal Girl, so here is a picture of the unfinished project just for her.



I'm not quite sure when the planned sunflower motif turned into forget-me-nots and daisies!

Today in the garden I finally pulled up the mildewy summer squash plants. How on earth can they call these a bush variety? One of them had a stem that was over ten feet long! I took a big butcher knife and hacked it into smaller pieces, then threw it in the composter while my neighbor, Pat, beat it into submission with a hoe. We got most of it into the bin. Hopefully it will wilt down enough to make room for the remainder tomorrow.

We had a frost warning for tonight! We never get frost before the middle/end of October! Not wanting to take a chance on frozen tomatoes, I picked all that were showing color. I brought nearly nine pounds of tomatoes in to ripen all over the kitchen. I got another nice picking of bush beans, and pulled the rest of the beets. I cut more than a pound of mesclun for the rabbit, and also discovered a half dozen decent sized carrots that he'll certainly enjoy....I wanted to eat them myself, but I resisted temptation, as Cookie needs them more than I.

The garden is beginning to look a bit bare, but I'm happy to be getting the veggies off the fence between me and the neighbors. As soon as it's all cleared out, the new 4-foot chain link fence will be put in. That will be such a nice backdrop for tomatoes and cucumbers next year.

7 comments:

  1. Granny - those are absolutely gorgeous little birdhouses. You did a fantastic job on constructing, and painting them as well. Good job!

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, EG. It was a fun project, and I do think I'd like to make more of them. One can never have enough birdhouses LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'd never be able to paint like that. The only painting I can do is solid colors...like on walls and furniture. :p

    And thank you for posting the pictures for me. (hee-hee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny - good news! I'm gonna get about two 5 gallon buckets of pears this evening from a neighbor, so....you know what that means! Lots of pear preserves will be made this weekend. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that sounds so good! I'll have the hot biscuits ready ;-)

    My neighbor, Pat (I share my garden produce with her) brought me 2 jars of peach-apricot jam, 4 jars of green tomato pickles, a jar of zucchini relish and two jars of bread & butter pickles yesterday. I'm going to have a ton of green tomatoes, so I think she'll do green tomato mincemeat next. Next year's garden will be so much larger, I'm going to have to dig out my jars and canning supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Granny! Hope the birdies love them as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Sinfonian. I set them outside to apply the acrylic spray and the honey bees hovered around them! I guess it would be alright if they turned into bee boxes. Good for the garden anyway.

    ReplyDelete