January 27, 2012 - I Thought Christmas Was Last Month



Thank you to all of you who left birthday wishes for me! You really made my day!

I thought Christmas was last month, but evidently not because Santa Claus came yesterday! Oh, I know he says his name is Ed, the gardener from Tales From the Mountainside, but I know his true identity.....he's Santa, alright. Just look what he left in my mailbox!





That's an entire garden, people! Oh, Mrs. Pickles, I think I will be Mrs. Lettuce again this year, don't you?

I sure was happy to receive the Mini Gold tomato seeds. I didn't save any from the plant I grew in 2011, thinking I had more seeds in the packet....but I can't find the packet! I'm definitely going to start a pot for the new grow shelf, and see if I can actually manage to mature a few tomatoes in the house. It's such a prolific little variety, if anything can make it inside, it will be Mini Gold.

Mr. Granny is already pacing. He says he's afraid I'm going to make my garden larger this year. Maybe not larger, but I'll bet I have more pots and buckets scattered throughout the existing space.



The new shelving unit is rather large, isn't it? I'm glad it's only going to live in my bedroom until (probably) April. I can't find my S-hooks for hanging the lights (I found the chains!), I think I used them all to attach the plastic fencing to the garden shed. Somewhere I have a new package of black cable ties to fasten down the rope lights....can't find those, either. I wonder where I put the power strip. Why am I so organized through the gardening season, and so completely unorganized at the start?




Daughter Amy brought cupcakes yesterday. She saw a cupcake container....I saw a seed starting container! Perfect for starting tomatoes in the small plastic Dixie cups!



Two of the Mini Gold tomato seeds (from Ed),that I want to grow inside to mature ripe fruits, were planted in the only two cups I could find. When I locate the rest of my stash, they will be joined by parsley and Johnny Jump Ups. That's about all I can start this early, since I don't grow my own onions from seed.



Son John stopped by with a pretty potted miniature rose bush and card for my birthday.



16 comments:

  1. Boy, what a great BD present from Santa Ed!!

    It looks like you are ready to go! Love the shelf!

    I bet that the Gremlins hid your stuff. It happens all the time around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stash o'seeds! You're really gonna kick butt in the lettuce department (like you weren't already Grand Champion!)
    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift, somebody up there likes you :o) I don't think you will have to order any seeds this year..and I'm loving that shelf, wow! this is already a good year for you ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I think you are going to win Mrs.Lettuce hands down this year :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was going through my seeds I couldn't find any of the seeds that I was sharing earlier. I looked all over for them. After a week I found them in the fridge. I didn't know I had three containers of seeds in the fridge. Usually I try to keep everything in its place so I can find them all. It never happens though. I'm always searching for something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin, between you and Ed, it looks as though my garden expenses (minus the new shelf unit) will probably be less than $20 this year. Unless I decide to buy some new blueberry bushes or replace the strawberry plants :-)

    ********
    Sue, not only the lettuce, but look at those great cucumber and tomato seeds! And the flowers...and beans....well, all of them!

    ********
    Ginny, I bought new peppers seeds and some celery, but that's probably all the seeds I'll have to buy! We'll be eating practically free this year!

    ********
    Mrs. Pickles, I'll wear the name Mrs. Lettuce with pride. I already have some seedlings popping up today, LOL!

    ********
    Daphne, I keep my shed in such good order until it's time to just cram everything in there and leave for AZ. Maybe I can take time to organize stuff this next winter! I know I saw a big stack of those small Dixie cups recently, but I've looked and looked and can't find them now. I have to get to town tomorrow for the S-hooks, as I had to set the lettuce seedlings in the laundry room window for a bit of light today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't let you lose your title of "Mrs. Lettuce". I had to restrain myself, I had at least twice that amount of seeds I thought you should be growing, LOL. The shelf is looking good, I'm sure it will be filled very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ed, I can't thank you enough for all you sent. I guess I could give Mr. Granny away and turn the entire back yard into garden ;-) I would have more than twice the space if I didn't have to share it with him and his lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, what an amazing stash of seeds you got as a present! The mini golds sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS, I love your new grow station. I need a setup like that! And happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Granny happy belated birthday. Yes Santa sure did arrive. I too have 2 tomato plants growing in my aero garden that I hope to reap ripe tomatoes from in the house. Your bedroom looks like my spare bedroom. My racks are quite as wide however and then there are 2 in the living room/dinning room and I am sure more to be put up before I can get the greenhouses up in April.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meems, I've grown Mini Gold for two years. At first I considered it a throw away, not to be grown again, but it's one of those that gets better and better as the weather warms up. One small (about 2') bushy plant gave me as many, if not more, cherry tomatoes than my two full sized (about 10') plants! It's indeterminate, the first to bear and still going strong when it freezes. I'll definitely be saving seeds this year!

    ********
    Wilderness, that rack is huge! It needed to be that wide to hold my 4' lights, but I probably didn't need that much height.

    I've not had luck growing mature tomatoes inside before, they always drop their blossoms and I give in and plant them outside. I have had some luck with them if I carry them out during the day and back in at night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday! Looks like it was an awesome one. That's quite a nice selection of seeds you got. I can see why you would be wanting to plant more and more. And more!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Lori, you don't know how hard it is to have to wait to plant them all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday, sorry I am late. Your shelving unit for seed starting looks awesome. I probably won't get to try seed starting this year with all I have going on. I am learning a lot from your tips and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great collection of seeds, from Santa Ed! Your shelf looks good, you must be thrilled and ready to fill it up. :)

    ReplyDelete