March 14, 2013 - Today in (and out of) the Garden

I took the entire day off yesterday.  I was feeling muscles I didn't know I had after wrestling the heavy leaf sucker/bagger around for half the day on Tuesday.  I recuperated enough to get a bit done today.

Inside I planted 36 cells of dwarf marigolds, 4 containers of sweet basil (2 seeds each), 4 containers of Sungold tomatoes (2 seeds in each), 2 containers of Una Hartsock tomatoes (2 seeds each), 2 containers of Black Cherry tomatoes (2 seeds each).  That takes care of all the cherry tomatoes I'll be planting.  I hope to get 2 nice Sungolds and one each of the others, any remaining will go to Son John.

Outside I dug up and amended potato bed #1 (3' x 12') and planted 45 Red Norland potatoes.  Fifteen of them were some I had saved from last year's garden.  They were perfect egg-sized, and already showing green sprouts.  The other 30 were the 2 1/2 pounds of seed potatoes I had purchased.  I think I'm going to have a glut of potatoes this year, as I still have a bag of self-saved Yukon Golds, as well as the 2 1/2 pounds I had purchased.   That's one of the problems with getting old.  If I had remembered I had two bags of saved potatoes, I wouldn't have bought so many!  Once the Norlands were planted, I transplanted 8 Red Sails lettuces that were outgrowing their cells.

I used the moisture meter to check the onions, and they were dry, dry, dry.  I packed out 4 gallons of water and gave them a good drink.

That was enough for one day.

**I just signed the petition "Kraft: Stop Using Dangerous Food Dyes in Our Mac & Cheese" on Change.org.  I don't eat the cr*p, but many, many children do.

It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/kraft-stop-using-dangerous-food-dyes-in-our-mac-cheese

Thanks...
Granny

11 comments:

  1. Get some rest girlfriend! You have been working like crazy and now you are "packing out water"? LOL... put your feet up, you have earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Erin. I'm so achy now, even a hot bath and Tylenol didn't help. The next potato bed can wait until next week.

      Delete
  2. Signed the petition...we never know what else they put in our food nowadays...that's why i prefer to cook my own food most of the time....

    It seems like you've been working too hard,Granny...please get some rest ok...take care,Granny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, HangKebon, for signing the petition AND for caring about my well being. Hugs to you.

      Delete
  3. Good for you for taking a day off!

    We took a day trip to Georgia today and when we got home this evening....more rain! So I might have a forced day off tomorrow if it's too wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, I'm taking another day off after digging those 45 holes for the potatoes! With a hot pad between my shoulders.

      Delete
  4. I signed the petition. Thanks for letting me know. We eat that stuff all the time. How unnecessary. I wish they would leave the food supply alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristy, the thing is, the dyes are not necessary ingredients for the flavor of the product.

      Delete
  5. Yeah my whole family would rather have the boxed stuff than my homemade mac and cheese. Though the kids liked Annie's better than Kraft. No neon orange there thanks goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I don't eat it, ever. I don't like mac and cheese, even made from scratch! I don't even like cheese, except for a bit of mozzarella on my pizza, or a few shreds of Mexican blend on my tacos, or occasionally a small piece of Swiss on a grilled ham sandwich. I just don't like unnecessary, possibly harmful, additives in any foods.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't live without cheese. I eat it everyday. It is one of my favorite snacks.

      Delete