August 19, 2008 - New Garden Shaping Up

Yesterday I put together 3 of the new garden beds. I couldn't get the screws to suck in the boards on two ends, which upsets the heck out of me, as I like straight corners with no gaps! Nothing I can do about it, I guess. I'll just have to plant a droopy ground cover to hide it from view.

At first I set the beds straight with the fence. But while I was standing at the sink, looking out the kitchen window, I though to myself; "Self, wouldn't those look nice if they were set at an angle?" So I ran out and skewed them all off to one side, and sure enough it looked so much better. I'm so anxious to finish up that garden area now. I want to get a load of bark mulch from the nursery this week to cover the pathways and make the ground more level, then I can begin filling the beds with compost and peat to get them ready for the raspberry canes next spring. We'll see how that goes before I inform Mr. H. that I'm going to buy some more lumber and make the three beds deeper. I've scrapped my plan to grow asparagus back there. It takes asparagus a good two years before one can get a decent harvest, and let's face it people, I'm pushing the big seven-oh! I don't know how much time I have left for asparagus growing. So now I'm thinking three beds of raspberries and a strawberry pyramid, which still leaves me a spot for a hill of cantaloupe.

We finally got some relief from the hot weather we've been having. Yesterday it clouded up, and we had a wonderful, noisy thunderstorm with lots of rain, so I pulled the lattice off the mesclun bed to let the little plants enjoy every cooling drop. It looks as though it will be in the 80s for the next few days, then the hot weather is supposed to return. I'll have to try to get as much work done as I can in the next 3-4 days.

But, in the meantime, it's time for fun not work! I'm off to the Benton-Franklin County Fair to watch one of my favorites, Chicago, perform and to eat too much of that yummy fair food. I sure hope it doesn't rain tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment