January 24, 2009: My First Try at Seed Saving/Starting
I debated on whether or not I should even blog about what I did today, but I decided it wouldn't be right to only blog about my successes and ignore my failures. Not that this is a failure....not yet, anyway. It's more of an experiment that has a good chance of failing.
Last fall I bought the biggest, reddest bell pepper I'd ever seen. I also bought a very large jalapeno pepper. On a whim, I scooped out the seeds, dried them and saved them.
Today I was cleaning the laundry room, and I found half a bag of seed starter mix that was left from last winter. I rounded up some plastic containers, drilled a few drainage holes in the bottoms, filled them with the seed starter mix and set them in a sink of hot water until the mix was well dampened. Using the end of a pencil, I made six depressions in each container of mix and, moistening the lead end of the pencil, I picked up one pepper seed at a time and dropped it into a depression. I then covered the seed with about 1/4" of mix. I set the containers on a large plastic lid to catch the water that drains from the containers, and I set a plastic lid loosely on each one. I put them on top of the refrigerator, where they should stay warm and comfy until (I should say IF) they sprout.
I have no idea if these seeds are viable. It will take 2-3 weeks to find out. If they do grow, I have no idea if they will be like their "parent" peppers, or if they will revert back to some previous strain.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have some sturdy pepper plants ready for my Washington garden next April.