January 5, 2009: Master Garden Plan

I've finished making my garden plans for 2009. Along with the two beds I showed in my post from January 1, I will also be planting the dog kennel area.

I'll tell you all how to get a really big, sturdy trellis. One that is big enough and tall enough for anything you might want to grow.

First you buy two puppies. Then you spend $200 on a 7'x13' chain link kennel to keep said puppies safe. Then you spoil said puppies so they will NOT use said kennel. Move said kennel to corner of vegetable garden, remove 1 1/2 sides for access to existing gardens and use remainder for trellises.




Next to the dog kennel garden is the north garden. As of now, I think I might plant corn in one of the 4'x8' beds. I wasn't going to fool with it, as we do get very good local corn, but I just might talk myself into it. I think it depends on just how many broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage seeds germinate for me. If I have a lot that grow into sturdy plants I may bag the corn idea.




So here is the complete garden (not shown is a small plot for cucumbers along the west fence).





This still gives me room for a few containers, and I might want more pepper plants and maybe some shade loving flowers behind the dog kennel.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you have the site laid out very good, granny. I think you would enjoy the corn, if you decide to plant some. I'm gonna plant around 20 squares in my big box, myself. One of these days, you're gonna have to show me how to use that software for laying my entire area out.

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. EG, I know the corn would be wonderful..I've grown it before. We do have a problem with corn ear worm, but I grew a variety that had very tight husks right to the tip, and it was really good. Of course, I can't remember what the variety was ;-) Sugar Dot is what is grown most around here.

    I got the broccoli seeds today, thank you! I also sent you the jalapeno seeds. I hope they germinate and are true to the parent, 'cause that was one whopping big pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok! I'll see if they germinate, as soon as I get 'em. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this your first year growing sweet potatoes? Have any advise for growing them?

    I am going to try them this year after watching 'Tiny Farm Blog' grow them. They are a few hours north of me so if they can get them to grow I should be able to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking garden set-up. Ah, to have your back yard /sigh. We all make do.

    Great that you're growing corn. Not again for me unless I do it out front where I have room. Intensive gardening, corn and Seattle don't mix in my not-so-expert opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan, I've never grown them before. I trench composted some that went bad on me last year and they started growing, so I potted them up and had them as house plants. My daughter was supposed to keep them watered, and I was going to cut slips from them...but she thinks they're dead, so looks like I'll have to start from scratch. I'm only going to try a few in the bottom half of the old black compost bin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sinfonian, I think our hot summers contribute a lot to the success of corn. I'm still not convinced I'm going to sacrifice that 4x8 bed for corn, though....it sure would hold a lot of other veggies! I'm really trying to convince Mr. H we need to move that fence another 5 feet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read they are very intolerant to cold. If I don't recall soil temps below 18c(60f) will actually start to harm the tubers. I am going to try mine in a half whiskey barrel and probably not plant them out until early June.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're pretty warm by May 15th, and I'm going to use the black plastic bottom of the old composter, so I should be able to get a good start on them. I've read that the leaves of the sweet potato are also very good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Black plastic, that is a great idea, I will have to try that. I should be about to plant them out by the middle of May then. As a rule frost free in southern ontario is May 24th, but that is not always the case.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm so envious! You have all of your 2009 garden planned out already! I am still working on mine... The planning is so much work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy, I'm not promising this will be my final garden plan...I'm notorious for changing my mind! I think it's pretty close, though.

    ReplyDelete