February 22, 2009: I Need More Seeds Like I Need...

I need more seeds like I need another hole in the head. However, I was visiting Skippy's Vegetable Garden this morning and she told of some new sources for open pollinated seeds. I decided to take a peek at one, and was pleasantly surprised at what I found. An on-line source for heirloom seeds that only charges $1.29 per packet and...get this...$1.99 for shipping and handling! Yes, you read that right, one-dollar-and-ninety-nine-cents. Is that unbelievable? I don't know about you, but I refuse to pay $7 and up for someone to mail me a few packages of garden seeds.

Ohio Heirloom Seeds doesn't have a huge selection, but do go look at their tomatoes, peppers and lettuce/mesclun. I ended up purchasing Early Jalapeno, Golden Calwonder, Purple Beauty and Quadrato Rosso D'Asti pepper seeds as well as Red Romaine lettuce and Mesclun. If I didn't already have more tomato seeds than I need, I'd have ordered them too.

While I was at it, I emailed Mike Dehlendorf, the owner, and he contacted me immediately. Mike started the business because he was fed up with seed prices. A man after my own heart! Friendly service, very reasonable prices, and a promise to ship your order within 24 hours. You can't beat that with a stick! Check it out...it's a good thing!

15 comments:

  1. Granny, i'll have to check that site out! Thanks for the heads up.

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do, EG...I was impressed with the customer service this company gives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the link. I checked out the site and added it to my favorites. I may need to order a few things.

    Liisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate spending a fortune on shipping and handling too. I'm on my way to take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liisa & Cheryl, I have at least six seed catalogs here and the shipping/handling prices are just obscene. I'll hit the seed rack at Wal-Mart before I'll pay those prices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was taking a look around this seed house too after seeing it on Kathy's blog, looks like a good supplier.

    You certainly can spend alot of money on seed, as I found out last year. It seems you can spend more on seed then you would otherwise spend purchasing the produce.

    I placed the majority of my order with Pinetree this year, they are very well priced. I bought carrot seed from them for 80 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan, I've heard good things about Pinetree, too. I do find their shipping/handling costs a bit high, though. I always order around $50 or more worth of seeds and that would be $8.95 for shipping. Of course, their smaller packets for a smaller price would probably mean I'd spend half as much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - those are great prices! I've ordered from Territorial and it's $7! I like them because they're local(ish) so I know the varieties will do well but it should only cost them a few bucks to ship it - greedy !$#&%. I'll have to check out Ohio Heirloom next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Annie - Thanks for this info. I will check it out. I thought the Baker Creek seeds were priced pretty well, but they took a long time to ship.
    Jen @ Nyack backyard

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen...You're welcome! Like I said, he doesn't have a huge selection of seeds, but the customer service is good. Not every businessman cares enough to contact a customer personally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely not these days - what a kindness. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just Jenn, I got yet another correspondence from him, stating he had received some orders because of my blog and..."I will not disappoint you, or your readers". What a nice person!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's delightful! I wish I could help his business out but there's no more room for plants in my garden (and I already bought all my seeds).
    Aaaaah next year...

    PS: He should give you a sales commission. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like my kind of company! I'll have to check them out for my fall seeds that are needed :)

    ReplyDelete