April 27, 2010: Rainy Days & Tuesdays (part 2)

***Part 2

I drove out to Burbank to visit Mr. & Mrs. DaBeardeOne yesterday. I wanted to take them some plants, and to tour their garden. They certainly have room for a lot of raised beds, and had most of them planted. I'm envious of his beautiful lettuce, and his cabbages look huge next to mine, but my seedlings are bigger than his (*smug grin*). I took a few tomato, pepper and flower plants to them, but still have a lot more for which to find homes.

Speaking of flowers, I got carried away with the several seed packets I'd picked up at 20-cents each. I'm afraid I scattered seed where I don't really want it. Try to visualize: To the left is the ladder with the bird house on top. Under the ladder, I've planted the beautiful blue morning glory, and provided a strip of chain link fencing (attached to the wood fence) for it to climb. There were pansies in front of the ladder, but they didn't withstand the uprooting in AZ and the trip to WA as well as I thought they would, so they are looking rather ratty. To the right of the ladder is a group of light yellow lilies (from Cheryl). Then, and this is what I'm not liking, I scattered seeds of giant snapdragons and some zinnias. To the right of that are pink and white hollyhocks, and white Shasta daisies. I'm not going to like the bright mixed colors of the snapdragons and zinnias in that bed at all! I have a bunch of dark pink Sweet William, and a packet of blue bachelor buttons that would have looked so much better there. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pluck out the zinnias and snapdragons like weeds, and chalk it up as this year's garden faux pas.




Peas, pots and more photos of the garden.......













14 comments:

  1. All those peas! Won't be long and you will have bowls full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Dan, I think you're the only one who made it through part 2 of the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a wild mix of colors. I'm rooting for you zinnias to be the weeds you miss this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daphne, if I didn't have so many pinks and blues on the ends, I'd like the vibrant colors too. I'd planned on using mixed impatiens (pink, red-orange, lavender) to bring in the other colors, but you know that idea fizzled when the impatiens didn't grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to take all of this as you're feeling better! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, Ribbit. I'm feeling just fine! I had a bit of an episode yesterday. I was holding the neighbor's pup, and he squirmed and twisted and I nearly dropped him, and he caught a toenail in one of my knuckles. Last night it turned red and sore and swollen, but I soaked it in hot salt water, then opened it with a sterile needle, rinsed it with peroxide, then applied a triple antibiotic ointment. Now, THAT's how you kill bugs, LOL! Those germs didn't have a chance...the knuckle is fine today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm never going to get anything planted; I've spent the last few days trying a few tomato cage ideas. Now I see you've got squash in a cage too. What's with that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. your containers look like mine with the little marigolds and tomatoes together, they seem to be doubling their growth every day so I am excited about this "new way" for me to do my tomatoes, it frees up so much of my bed space now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last shot showing the tomatoe fort (I mean supports!) and the raspberry patch is great. Everything is coming along famously. Glad you were able to take care of that puppy claw infection so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. TIG, it's not to keep the squash in, it's to keep the dogs out. That's a pile of manure the squash are planted on, and the dogs just love to lay on the mound and sun themselves. Soon the leaves will be large enough to hide the fencing, and the vines will grow right on through it just fine. I'll be doing the same with my summer squash plants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin, my tomato madness took over again this year. I had nowhere else to put them! I'm actually trying out the small and dwarf varieties to see if any would be worth growing in Arizona during the winters. Most are actually dwarf indeterminates, so cuttings could be made for potting up and moving south.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kitsap, you mean my tomato billboard? That structure is just begging for a huge attached sign!

    Yep, finger feels fine, I haven't looked under the Bandaid yet this morning. I was rather surprised it got so infected, I'm always getting scratches from happy, jumping dogs. Of course, Bandit was happily jumping in the freshly delivered cow manure that had just been spread along the neighbor's fenceline. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything's looking good, Granny. I can not imagine planting so much. I have no idea what I'd do with it all. Got a teeny freezer and very little storage space at present. Canning or freezing wouldn't work at all for me, here. Maybe if we ever do move to a bigger place...

    ReplyDelete
  14. SB, I'm running out of space, and I still have so much more I want to plant! I have to make a choice between melons and yellow crookneck squash. Or else plant melons over at the neighbor's place with the other veggies I don't have room for ;-)

    ReplyDelete