July 28, 2010: Odds and Ends, This and That

Nothing in particular about which to blog today, but there are a few things I've been wanting to tell you so this will be an "odds and ends" type of post.

First of all....

HEAR YE, HEAR YE! GET YOUR KEY CHAINS HERE!
Well, not here, but over at Ribbit's place.

Click on Keychains for a Cause for more information, or to order yours. A portion of the sales for each of these keychains will be donated to Ribbit's school's Relay for Life team to help in the search for a cure for cancer.

Thank you!

********

I just have to tell you about what happened with my little boy dog, Otto, last week. Most afternoons I visit my neighbor, Pat, for a cool beverage on her patio. The dogs, Annie and Otto, always go with me to play in her big yard and chase squirrels. Her puppy, Bandit, loves to romp and play with my dogs, who just barely tolerate him. Bandit also considers me his "other mother", and is lovey and licky and all over me when I'm there. Well.....the past three times I've gone to Pat's, Annie has acted normally, but Otto has stayed back by the gate and refused to enter the yard or patio area. No amount of coaxing would bring him to us. The first time, we thought it was because it was his dinner time, and he wanted to return home to eat. The next two times, it was after he'd eaten, so that was no longer considered as a reason to hang back, and we wondered if something traumatic had happened in her yard. Maybe he'd been hit by a falling walnut from her tree (it happened to me, and it hurt!). Monday afternoon Otto finally came over to the patio. Bandit, as usual, jumped up on my lap and began trying to lick my face. Otto came running to me, put his front paws on my knee and began snarling at Bandit! I mean, these were huge, teeth and gum baring snarls coming from my gentle little Otto! He had the most horrid look of hatred in his eyes, I just couldn't believe it. Otto is 2 1/2 years old, and has never, ever shown a spark of meanness in his entire life. My little guy was jealous! Once Bandit got the message and jumped off of me, Otto jumped up and settled down on my lap and everything was fine. Nobody fools with his Granny!

********

I'm getting really upset with some of our local businesses. As you know, Mr. Granny and I are getting up in age, and it's not easy for us to do many of the things we did even 5-10 years ago. What else is there to do but hire someone to do the jobs we can't handle?

Well, over a month ago, we contacted a reputable siding company to give us an estimate on repairing or replacing some siding that had been damaged by our sprinklers, install a continuous rain gutter on the front of the house, and replace a window that has a crack in it where someone threw a rock at it while we were in AZ last winter. They took down our information, and said they'd be at our house no later than the next day to give us an estimate. They never showed up.

Two weeks ago I called the man who had replaced our back fence in 2008, after the maple tree fell on it. He had done an excellent job, was fast, courteous and reasonably priced, so I wanted to hire him to rebuild our front fence. The cedar boards are in good condition, but the wood posts snapped in a wind storm last winter, and it's beginning to lean. It will never make it through another strong wind, so we want to rebuild it using metal posts. It turned out the man was no longer in the fence building business, but he said his son wasn't working now, and he was sure he'd like the job. He took my information and said he'd have the son call me. He never called.

Last week I decided I wanted all my carpets professionally cleaned, and the hallway and one bedroom needed to be restretched. I looked up a local carpet cleaning place on line, and they offered all the services I was looking for. They had an on line form to fill out and send in for an estimate, so I did just that. Never heard from them.

I'm really frustrated. Most things I can do myself, but I can't replace siding and windows, dig post holes or stretch carpeting.

********

The fresh peach pie just came out of the oven. I know what I'm having for lunch.


Speaking of food, just look at the ribs I cooked on the barbecue yesterday......

LOL, I should have checked the picture before we ate the ribs! I don't know why they look yellow, it must have been the setting sun shining on them. They were actually brown and crisp and fall off the bone tender. I dug fresh new potatoes and picked beans and summer squash to serve with them, along with the rest of my garden corn.

********

The Idiot Gardener wrote; "Granny, how can you taunt us with hot pepper jelly and not give us a recipe. Honestly, old woman, your mind is slipping. We need the recipe, and we need it now!"

OK, TIG. I used the recipe in the Sure Jell pectin box, but here it is, just for you. I have no idea why Sure Jell calls it relish. I think everyone else calls it hot pepper jelly.

Hot Pepper Relish

2 medium Green peppers, seeded, finely chopped
3 medium Red peppers, seeded, finely chopped
*note: I use all green or all red, not a mixture
10 large JalapeƱo peppers, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 cup) *note: if your peppers aren't hot enough, add red pepper flakes. Mine had no heat at all, so I used 4 tsp. flakes, which may have been a bit much.
.........
4 cups (total) prepared peppers
1 cup Cider vinegar
5 cups Sugar, measured into separate bowl
1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin
1/2 tsp. Butter or margarine

BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

STEM and seed peppers. Finely chop peppers; drain well. Measure exactly 4 cups of the peppers into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot. Stir in vinegar.

STIR pectin into prepared peppers in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

********

33 comments:

  1. Maybe you just need to lure workers over with some of that great looking pie. Heck, I'd try and dig post holes for pie like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the plug, Granny! We're really excited about the possibility of raising money with the keychains.

    We're having the same problem with local businesses. We have a leak in our porch. I sat around all afternoon yesterday waiting for my scheduled appointment. He called at 5:45 to say he wasn't coming, but would come today....so I've sat around all day today and now it's 4:42 and no one has shown up yet. We were going to ask him about finishing our basement while he was here. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I'm already fighting off my son for that pie! He wants to come over NOW. I said I'm not cutting it until dinner, even though I really wanted some for my lunch.

    ********
    Ribbit, you'd think there would be people knocking down your doors in this economy, for a chance at a job. Around here, the home building is booming, so the contractors aren't hungry enough to take on smaller jobs. If you want anything done, you have to find a Hispanic worker. They're always eager for work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe give them one more shot and then consider the BBB? I have a friend who swears by consulting that list after having it stuck to her once. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Sue has it right. If you can just get them to smell the pie and promise them a piece, they would be at your doorstep early. I've had issues too. Since we sold a house and bought a new one there was a lot of work being done. I found Angie's List to be a godsend. It really helped a lot to find some reliable people. Not all of them had time to do anything, but they would at least tell me that instead of saying they would show up and then not doing it. I get really mad when people don't do what they say they will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those ribs look delicious! I hate to say it, but my experience is that 6 out of 10 Americans are lazy as sh*t and I agree, hire a Mexican! My first husband was Mexican and it was always a running joke about "fixing it Mexican style", which meant they have clever and creative ways of getting things done, but it always gets done, usually right then and there. When I had all my windows replaced, my neighbor called me and said "what's up with the Mexicans sitting under your tree eating tortillas? They aren't working!" I had to tell her they had been on the job since 6 am and I loved the fact they didn't leave for lunch, then I knew they would finish! And they did, in one day! Don't get me started on the lazy rednecks I had build my deck... it took them over a week (my deck is only 6 x 12!) and they were never here, when they left there were hundreds of cigarette butts all over my yard and now it's only 3 years later and the thing is coming apart! Grrrrr....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy Granny that pie and ribs look absolutely yummy!

    The building industry out here is dead. My profession is/was construction management and "The Italian" is really an architect. If you lived out here they would be knocking your door down for business.

    Well, I also make a hot pepper jelly. It is #1 with most of our friends and family. I make mine a little different then you do though. My jalapeno peppers this year are the hottest that I have ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apple Pie Gal, I tend to not make waves, just fume about incompetent people. That's just the nature of this beast. Oh, I can get mad enough to do something. We won't talk about the time I threw myself in front of the door to my son's principal's office, and refused to let him walk out without listening to what I had to say! LOL!

    ********
    Daphne, I think these guys are so lazy, they don't have enough ambition to lift a fork.

    ********
    Erin, tell us what you really think.

    LMAO!!! My neighbor has Mexican yard men, and they show up at 8 every Wednesday morning, get their mowing, weeding and trimming done quickly, and leave the place looking really neat and spiffy. Without fail, without excuses. They even cut a local company's lawn fertilizing price by forty bucks, so she canceled her contract with that company and has her Mexicans do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have had that same experience trying to get someone out to do some work on the place. Frustrating to say the least. We bought the equipment and have started to do our own chimney/stove pipe cleaning because we could not get anyone to return our calls or come out to do the work! I really would much prefer to have someone else do it.

    Those ribs look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot believe no one will do that work for you - with the job market being so bad? Are these folks crazy or just lazy?
    Anyhow - you always have the most tremendous yummy looking food in your blogs. Now I'm hungry and I just ate dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kitsap, it must be because our economy in the NW is pretty good, nobody is hungry enough to want to work for their dinner.

    ********
    Crystabel, I'm just learning to cook on the new outdoor grill, and so far everything has turned out well. Now you watch, I'll burn the burgers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Granny, your food looks so yummy, especially that peach pie! I wish I lived closer!

    Have you ever tried to find workers through Servicemagic? I have used them several times now, and I have never been disappointed. It doesn't cost anything to get recommendations from them, and some of the service companies also post photos of previous jobs on the site. I found the company that did the hardscaping in my new back garden through them, also found fencing guys, who did a great job!

    http://www.servicemagic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie, after seeing all those delicious recipes and photos of the luscious looking pie, my oh my, these guys have to be brain dead not to come to work for you and Mr. Granny.
    Just a suggestion, if you are trying to stay on a budget and are physically able to clean your rain gutters here is a recipe for a faster, cleaner, smoother, easier, and above all safer method of cleaning out rain gutters. It cuts cleaning time in half so you will have more time to bake another delicious pie! Check out the web and you can find an attachment tool for your wet/dry vac hose that will actually vacuum out all gutter debris and water at the same time while standing firmly on the ground all the while you are cleaning. This great newly developed attachment tool is called a Gutter Clutter Buster and was invented by a 70 year young wife and her husband, here in the USA. They had it manufactured in the US as well to help out the economy and keep job here not send them overseas. Check them out and see what you think. I highly recommend this great tool and the family who invented it loves God, Country, and are doing all they can to help feed the needy. So stay well, stay safe, keep on keeping on, and save a piece of that great pie for yourself, you deserve it. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alison, thank you. I'll check it out.

    *******
    Anonymous, thank you for the suggestion. It's not a problem for me to clean the gutters out. Usually my son-in-law does that for us, but I have no fear of getting on a ladder to do it myself. It's that our gutter leaks, right in front of the front door! I've caulked it, but for some reason it still leaks, so we'd like a new one professionally installed. I'll certainly keep the product in mind though, if I ever find myself needing such a tool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Granny, what's with the humble pie of "nothing in particular about which to blog today," you ALWAYS have things to say and for the most part, they are totally interesting! The rest of the time, still mildly interesting. :)

    The pie looks delicious. I can't believe you have the will power to hold out until dinner time. Also, I'm sure the other readers are appreciating your hot pepper jelly recipe, even though I'm afraid of canning and will hold out for as long as I can - pun intended.

    Sorry to hear about your problem with local businesses. It's frustrating when people who advertise themselves for services can't be counted on to provide those services.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Little Otto just loves his Mommy and does not want to share her with anyone.:)

    To bad about your luck with workers of late. You would think with the economy in a bit of a slump they would be jumping at the chance to work for you. People do not seem to act with the same courtesies as they used to that is for sure.

    Boy that peach pie sounds and looks good...lucky you and Mr. Granny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmm granny, i looove hot pepper jelly, peach pie, and i uuused to love fall-off-the-bone ribs. this post has me drooling a bit!;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thyme2, only "mildly interesting"? Hmmmph! LOL, that's better than "long winded and boring", like one anonymous commenter said!

    The peach pie was so-so. I've made better. It could have used a bit more sugar and fewer peaches, the filling was too juicy and a bit overwhelming with so much fruit.

    ********
    Kelli, that's OK dear. I ate the leftover ribs and saved you a piece of pie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mr. H., I almost missed you, hiding up there between Thyme2 and Kelli!

    Otto sure did throw me for a loop. We've always talked about how sweet he is, and that he just doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He's played with Bandit almost daily for months,, so I didn't see that reaction coming at all! Bless the little guy, anyway. Bandit has been banished from our place for now, anyway. He came through the gate and jumped right in the middle of my newly planted garden bed :-( My "kids" know better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Granny, thanks for the recipe! Never-mind the comment I left on your other post. I'm trying to play catch-up (not ketchup, that's something totally different!) and didn't read this one first. Dogs are funny! Weird that so many people aren't calling you back. You would think in this economy..... I wish you luck. Maybe you could be like Otto and get somebody's attention!!!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lori, not ketchup...that comes with a tomato blog, LOL!

    Maybe I should march in to those businesses and just snarl at them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We called a contractor to give us a quote to upgrade our electricity and he never called us back. He came to the house, and said we could have an estimate in a week. That was 2 weeks ago, and silence.

    It's too bad granny that we don't live closer to you. My husband would be right over to fix your fence for a pie like that. He put up this fencing http://nycgardening.blogspot.com/2010/04/fence-paneling-installed.html and this one. http://nycgardening.blogspot.com/2010/07/wildflower-galore.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the recipe. We don't get Sure.Jell over here (or if we do, I've never seen it). I shall report back on the outcome once it is made.

    Shame I'm over here, because I'd knock you up a new gutter and fence in the blinking of an eye. I've learned to do all these things because workmen over here are so bloody unpredictable!

    I've been trying to get someone to redo our bathroom for nearly a year. They either want stupid money, or disappear without leaving a quote. Living in a rural area means we don't have too many choices with regard to companies. Instead, I've started doing it myself. There's a first time for everything, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ribs and bacon. As much as we love pigs, we make exceptions to eat them in those 2 forms. Your ribs look great, even with the yellow hues!

    I am sorry you are having so much vendor trouble, my parents have been making many of the same complaints of late. I blame it on lazy, inconsiderate youth.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Meemsnyc, can I borrow your husband? LOL, we don't even need the fence to be built. All we need is someone to dig out the posts that are already there, and replace them with metal posts. The fence sections can be reused, they are not damaged. Actually, we could just remove the fence. All it does is keep the neighbor's dogs in his yard. Let him build a fence!

    ********
    TIG, I have a feeling your heart is even bigger than your mouth.

    We used to do everything ourselves. Still do most things, but pay for it the next day when I can't move. I planted the fall garden yesterday, and couldn't hardly get out of the bed this morning.

    ********
    Kelly, that's me...ribs and bacon (crisp) are two things I can't resist.

    I don't know if it's lazy youth. Two of the places I contacted are large companies, that have been in business for several years. It seems as though they don't want the small jobs. If we'd gone for a complete siding and whole house window replacement, they'd probably have been right here. With the carpet cleaning company, maybe they don't check their email. In which case, they shouldn't have the price quote form on their web page. The fence guy could be a lazy youth thing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've heard it said that reliable workers can almost name their prices. You'd think people would notice that -- especially in this economy?

    Food looks terrific, and poor Otto. I hope you reassured him that there's enough love to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stefaneener, Otto has no reason to be jealous. Every day I tell him he's my good baby boy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It could be worse. You have some folks that don't turn jobs down. They'll start a bunch of jobs to get you committed to them, and then you have to hunt them down to get the job finished. That's what happened to my mother-in-law. They ended up finishing the project themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cheryl, been there, done that. Hired a man to paint our house once. When he was half through, he wanted money, so we paid him half of the agreed price....never saw him again. Before that and since then, I've done all my own house painting, inside and out. Hired a couple to do yard work a few years ago, and they did a really good job. Until they began not showing up and calling with excuses. Lawn mowing doesn't wait for them, so they got fired. Those were the only two times I got sucked in, I just do it myself. I've had the best luck hiring a helper, especially one who can show me how to do something, and work with me. I've learned most of what I need to know to wire telephone systems, set up DISH receivers, do my own computer repairs, stuff like that. I'm the one my kids call on to fix their computers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have run into the same problems with contractors. If they would call back and leave a voice message saying they are all booked up that would be acceptable. But nothing, that is unforgivable. John

    ReplyDelete
  31. So true, John. But just not show up? Even after they've scheduled an appointment? That's even more unforgivable.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for the link for tomato seeds. I am so excited about it, I can wait to pick out new tomatos to try out. Any suggestions on your favorites?

    Oh, and you can borrow my husband! I'll box him up and ship him FedEx. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Meemsnyc, email me (address is in my profile) and I'll send you a list of those I've tried and liked. Their list changes every now and then, so what they offer now might be different than what they offer next winter.

    ReplyDelete