I fed Scott some breakfast and a couple of cups of coffee, and as soon as the outside temperature got up to 50F, we headed outside. He unloaded the compost, a garden cart at a time, and piled it on one side of the garden, where it will be handy for me to access as I need it.
Since I had a strong guy to help me, I decided we'd go ahead and disassemble the east garden boxes. I wanted to try to preserve the good wood, so we could rebuild a couple of them and put them in the north garden. First we tried the power screwdriver, but the heads of the deck screws were so full of paint or stripped out, they wouldn't budge. We had no choice but to use a sledgehammer, and knock all the boards loose. I'll salvage what I can, which should be plenty for an 8' bed for the north garden. In the meantime, I sure have a big mess of mangled wood in my back yard!
After Scott left, the weather was still pretty nice so I decided to go ahead and amend one of the north beds with the fresh compost, then plant some seeds. I cleaned up the indeterminate tomato bed, added a couple of inches of compost to it, worked it into the top 6" and raked it all smooth. Then I planted pre-made seed mats of spinach and turnips, two 8' rows of each, and direct seeded another two 8' rows with some leftover radish seeds that I had mixed together from three varieties. Those will be my "surprise" crop, as I'll not know the varieties until they are harvested. I set three clean 5-gallon tomato buckets in place for the indeterminate tomatoes. Yes, I'm only putting three plants in that bed this year. Last year it was too crowded with four plants.
The indeterminate tomato bed, all cleaned up. The trellis structure for the future tomato plants still has to be reassembled. Radishes are planted to the left of the buckets, turnips and spinach are planted to the right. I think those are volunteer Bachelor Buttons on the edge and in the planter. Either that or I'm nurturing weeds.
The raspberries have all been pruned, and the leaf buds are swelling. The posts have to be repaired, and all of the boxes will get a fresh coat of paint, just as soon as it warms up enough.
A future bed for the north garden. Hopefully I can salvage another half dozen boards to finish it, or it will have to be only 6" deep. That would be OK though, as there is good soil underneath, so extra depth really isn't needed. The remaining compost is piled next to this new bed, and another new bed can be seen behind the shed. The lettuces will go in that one, as it will have the bird netting attached and it doesn't get the hot afternoon sun back there.