March 30, 2014 - Cupcakes for Grandma

Five-year-old Alicyn wanted to surprise me with a special treat today.  We were supposed to go to her house for either brownies or cupcakes, but Mr. Granny wasn't feeling well so Alicyn came to us with................

Cupcakes!

She said her Mom baked them and put on the frosting, but Alicyn did the sprinkles.  And what a beautiful job she did!  She brought a whole dozen, so we'll be having a treat each day this week.  Thank you, Alicyn!

Alicyn and her mom, Amy, also brought us lunch from McDonald's, so we did a lot of eating! Just as they were leaving, elder daughter Shannon drove into the driveway and promptly disappeared into the garage.  ????  What was she doing?  She was filling the freezer with another week of pre-cooked meals for our dinners!  I can't tell you how much we appreciate this.  We ate like kings all last week, and all I had to do was toss something into the oven or crockpot and make us a salad.  

Shannon loves to cook.  And she loves to cook in bulk for her family.  Last week we had Taco Soup, Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, Honey Glazed Pork Chops with rice and veggies, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Lasagna, Chicken Pot Pie and Fried Chicken Dinner.  I haven't been out to look in the freezer yet, but I know it will be something super good!

I gave the girls my cookbook collection.  Amy, who holds down a full time job along with raising her family, took all the crockpot books.  Shannon, like her mother, reads cookbooks like they are novels, then does her own thing.  She took the bulk of the books. 1st. Man, the one she gravitated toward was the one you sent me!  I expect some good things to come into my kitchen from that one, LOL! I also began clearing out the kitchen items I know I'll not be using.  Shannon got everything from pie plates to Dutch oven and French bread pans.  

Next came a string of grandchildren and two great-grandsons.  Hug and kisses were given to all, dogs were tormented by little boys, and everyone had a good time.

That entire gang headed home, and son John drove up.  We had a good visit, and I shared my dinner with him because he was a good boy and chopped up the salad fixings for me.  John is still not well from the accident he had at work before Christmas, when he was overcome by exhaust fumes blowing through a fan into his work space.  He had severe carbon monoxide poisoning, followed by a stroke, and hasn't been able to return to work.  It breaks my heart....he was always my hard working boy.

The only one missing was our youngest son.  But he called.  Twice!


Another good day.  I love my family.


29 comments:

  1. That is so neat! There is nothing like a loving family and yours sounds great. So sorry to hear about John; we will keep him in our prayers, as well as you and Mr. Granny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I *really* want a cupcake like nobody's business! What a sweet thing to do! Sorry Mr. Granny wasn't feeling well but sounds like you all had a wonderful day.

    How horrible for John! Hope with time he recovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Granny just had a bit of a sore throat. We had a long talk about the "other" thing, and it's OK now. I don't think John will be able to return to work, at least not full time. He wasn't paralyzed by the stroke, but everything seems to run in slow motion for him. He was always such a hard worker, but finds it takes him forever to complete a job now.

      Delete
    2. Sore throats are really going around! Been fighting with one all weekend myself. (hugs)

      When I blew my knee out and had to go from doing so *CRAZY* much to just nothing, man, that was hard. (and why I call myself lazy now, lol) Was such a depressing few years, really. Can imagine, on some level, what he must be going through. Will keep him in my prayers!

      Delete
  3. Those are some good looking (and I bet tasting) cupcakes!! I remember that cookbook, that reminds me I need to get on with some more giveaways, ha.

    Wow, had no idea about John. Will keep him in our thoughts as well. Did carbon monoxide is so dangerous. I had a relative that once had some come into a camper from a heater. It was very scary.

    You have such a wonderful family, I love seeing them all pull together and help out.

    Big hugs always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw Shannon go for that book, my first thought was BISCUITS! I've dropped too much weight, and I can pig out for once, LOL!

      Delete
  4. What a blessing to have such an amazing family. I hope you all have a great week. Prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a personal chef! I was at my hard-working daughter's this weekend, and she has someone called Chef Sherrie who comes into her kitchen twice a month to prepare and package meals. You have the same thing, except better (and way cheaper, too).
    You write with such love about your family that you've already (at 6 a.m.) impacted my Monday morning for the better. I hope the day is a good one for you and all those close to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had anyone else prepare our foods for us, so this is a special treat. I think she means for these to be used once I start chemo, thinking I might not feel too well then, but my shaky legs are thanking her profusely for keeping me off of my feet in front of the stove right now. I'm weaning off of some meds that might be causing the muscle weakness, but hey....I'll take shaky legs over paralyzed right hand any day!

      Delete
  6. You have such a great family. And those cupcakes looks delicious. And all those meals. Yummy. I love reading cookbooks too. But I tend not to buy them often. My favorite are the hybrid ones that take something like beans or Asian greens and talk about not just the food but the vegetable too.

    Oh and poor John. That must be terrible to go through. And I hope Mr Granny feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read recipes and garden books, then wander off and do my own thing. But they give me good starting points.

      Delete
  7. Your family sounds like mine! Isn't it wonderful! I went through my cookbook collection last year...with 3 daughters and 2 daughters-in-law that are amazing cooks, why hang on to them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad your family is taking such good care of you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took care of them for over over half a century, LOL! Now it's MY turn. I like being spoiled :-)

      Delete
  9. You are so special and have a special family! I am so sorry about your youngest son's accident and hope he can recover soon. Those cupcakes looks so pretty and delicious! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I hope the sugar in those cupcakes gives me a bit of energy, because all of mine seems to be gone!

      Delete
  10. Granny, I hope you are feeling a bit better and getting some strength back before your treatments. It warms my heart to read how your family is stepping up and helping you out. Those cupcakes look delicious. I hope Mr Granny is feeling better and I am so sorry to hear about John. Wow that is an awful thing to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Rachel. I just went out and planted about 10 seed mats, and I'm exhausted! That 30 minutes or so looks to be my daily limit in the garden. Just moving forward a little bit at a time. I checked the freezer meals that Shannon brought yesterday, and I think I'm going to fatten up real quick! I'm sure glad I have one daughter who lives to shop and another that lives to cook! Oh, and youngest son came with cream puffs for my dessert, LOL!

      Delete
  11. What a sweet family you have Granny, but not surprising... look who they were raised by. My mouth is watering just reading about the dishes Shannon brought.. and cream puffs for dessert! YU-um! I do so hope everyone feels better soon. Big Bear Hugs! Gammy Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gammy, I think they are trying to fatten me up!

      I made Mr. Granny gargle his sore throat with saltwater, but he swallowed some, gagged and spit his teeth out in the sink. Shhhhh...don't tell anyone I told you LOL!

      Delete
    2. Oh My GOSH! How funny was THAT!!! LOL!!! I promise, I won't tell a soul. ;)

      Delete
  12. That is so sweet that your daughter is cooking ahead for you like that. My mouth was watering just reading last weeks menu! Of course you had me drooling already with the cupcake.

    Sorry to hear about John. I will keep him and you and Mr. Granny in my prayers. Carbon monoxide is nothing to mess with, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cupcakes are good for grannies :-)

      Thank you for the lovely card, Dave!

      Delete
  13. It sounds like Shannon needs to visit Iowa. Those meals sound delicious. I wish I could send fresh bread to you. I wouldn't be fresh by the time it got to you, though.

    ReplyDelete