July 6, 2011 -Today In the Garden (part one of two)






The raspberry harvest is on the wane, and the canes are getting thick and overgrown. Soon it will be time to thin out the excess and trim the tops down to a reachable height.


They're towering way above my head, some as tall as ten feet.


As the raspberries are ending, the day neutral strawberries are just beginning.


Berries and blossoms abound.


The harvest is small tonight. It was a very good raspberry season, and I can only hope the strawberries will be as abundant.


The Royal Burgundy bush beans are lush with growth, and the Brandywine tomatoes are finally showing some height, but very few fruits.


Fortex pole beans grow along side one of the several beds of carrots, this one being the third of five consecutive plantings.


Tiny Fortex beans are beginning to form on the vines. I'm anxious, as this is my favorite variety of bean.


Even though the sweet peppers are still pitifully small, the rest of the east garden is productive.


We've had several meals from the Gourmet Green French bush beans, and they are sweet, tender and delicious. These are a very prolific variety, and I have to pick them every day or two now.


Topcrop bush beans aren't far behind. I add green beans to Annie's and Otto's food each day, so I grow as many as I have room for, and hopefully have enough to freeze in large quantities.

11 comments:

  1. I am always so amazed at how much food you get out of your garden every year. I think I'm going to do strawberries next year. What variety are yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. are raspberries annual plants? I hope when I have a house with a backyard, I can grow some berries:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, these are Tristar, a day neutral variety.

    ********
    Charmcity, the canes that are bearing fruit now will be cut to the ground when they finish fruiting. The new canes that are growing now, suckers from the fruiting ones, will produce fruit next year. I started with just four canes in 2009, and let them each produce 6 canes (suckers). The rest were pruned out. Each year I let just the 6 largest canes in each group grow, so every year I have about 24 canes giving me fruit. These are summer bearing raspberries, everbearing varieties are treated a bit differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try those Fortex beans, I've heard so much about them this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to try those bush beans. I can't stand the ones I planted this year. I tore them out. I don't like fuzzy beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is always so wonderful. I'm glad you posted how to prune the raspberries...this is my first season with them and I really don't know how to prune them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin, I just love those beans, but Daphne doesn't (she sent me her unwanted seeds last year), so I guess it's all a matter of taste. I'm growing these from saved seeds, so hope they are OK.

    ********
    Ribbit, the Gourmet Green French aren't fuzzy, but they are a pain in the butt to pick. They are very small and slender, and difficult to find in all the bushy foliage. They get tough if not picked at that small size, but they sure are a good flavored bean.

    ********
    Lynda, that pruning method is for summer bearing raspberries, the fall or everbearing are pruned differently. When I grew everbearing, I preferred to treat them as a one crop by just completely mowing them down in the spring, then they bear one heavy crop in the fall. I never did get great results from letting the canes bear twice by just pruning back the tops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't have to go shopping for anything :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginny, yes I do. I had to go to the store yesterday for Pop Tarts. LOL, every now and then I just get the urge for those things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It isn't that I don't like Fortex. I just like the taste of Kentucky Wonder better. I really miss my raspberries. I do. I planted five canes, but it is in a shared spot in the yard, which means I might not get to eat them. So far out of about 10 ripe ones this year, I've managed to snag 3. I want more! Three raspberries is just not enough. I'm trying a new variety this year. Jaclyn. So far it has huge berries and they are so sweet. Sweeter than Heritage was. Mine are everbearers though so I can get two crops a year out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Daphne, I will forever be indebted to you for those Fortex beans!

    I often think I need to ditch the strawberry bed and put in an everbearing raspberry in its place. I'd treat it as a one-cropper though, and just let it bear in the fall. Then I'd have my summer Canbys and a fall variety to keep me happy most of the season. Of course, I think that, then I have toast with homemade strawberry jam, and that idea flies right out the window.

    ReplyDelete