November 4, 2008: I'm Still Here!

I feel badly that I haven't blogged recently....or as Mr. H would say "Did you BOG today?" Now that my gardening season has ended, the new grandbaby has been born and the move south has been accomplished, what do I "bog" about?

Let's see....we're building another fence. This has certainly been the year for fences, hasn't it? First it was a protective fence around a small spring planted garden, then it was the replacement of that fence and the big cedar fence that got flattened by the falling maple tree, then it was an extension of the garden fence to surround the newly built beds. Now it's a puppy retaining fence. We live on a corner, across the street from an RV park, so there are a lot of distractions to lure curious pups into the street. Not to mention some scary desert creatures that could be dangerous to their health. Can we say "rattlesnake"? Our "yard" is natural desert landscaping, with a small wash along one side where those desert creatures dwell.

Although this fence is going to enclose almost the entire front area of the mobile home, it is not going to be a pretty fence. Mr. H has insisted on plain, 4' welded wire attached to T-posts. I did win just a little bit, in that he's agreed to wood corner posts and gate posts, and to let me build a "decorative" gate. Eventually I'll also add some caps to the wood posts, and top them with some solar lights so our friends don't accidentally run into them when they drive into the yard.

Although the fence won't be lovely to behold, it will be nice to be able to let the pups out in the morning without accompanying them in my pajamas, with bed hair askew for all to see.

11 comments:

  1. I was actually just thinking today that I have not seen Granny move up my blog list in a little while.

    Good luck with your fence. We had a fence when we moved to our current home that the previous owner built with untreated garden ties. Needless to say it fell over after only being up for a couple years. I have been putting off rebuilding it ever since. Now that we have a new messy neighbor there is much more motivation so maybe I will get to it this fall or next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny - I bet that new gate will look very nice! Tell Mr. H (nice hand, Mr. H! )that he should get out there and help you....we don't want you getting too hot out there. Thanks for updating your "bog".

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  3. EG, Mr. H is the "post pounder person". I just try to hold on to those suckers so that they go in halfway straight! We are looking at about a week of weather in the 70s, before it gets hot again, so the time is here to get it built. The older we get, the slower it goes....only got two of (7?) T-posts in this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be nice if blogspot allowed me to comment within the submitted comments rather than get my answers completely separated from them.

    Dan, that's what happens to wood posts in our NW home, even treated ones. Down here there is absolutely no moisture in the soil, so wood lasts for years. Metal posts will actually corrode (acid soil?) faster than wood posts will rot. We don't even have to concrete the metal posts in, as the ground itself is like concrete. We can't even use a post hole digger, we have to use a water pick to wash out the holes for the wood posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rattlesnakes? Maybe I'm going to have reconsider house swapping. I like to see my rattlesnakes at the zoo. You be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Granny, I'm glad you are back to blogging. We just got back from seeing Mickey Mouse so I have been trying to catch up with all of you! Glad your trip went well and that your new baby girl is doing well too! Rattlesnakes...I would never go outside - take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl, Halloween night my neighbor had a large coon tail rattler under her patio table. Some trick-or-treaters saw it, warned her, and she had to call another neighbor to come over to shoot it. If there's anything that I'm scared of, it's snakes! We used to have a beautiful black and white King snake here (he came up on our porch one night as we were sitting outside). I wasn't afraid of him, just respectful. I did grab the camera and follow him around, something I'd never do with any other snake. I hadn't seen him for a couple of years, and found someone at the RV park killed him. Too bad, as they do keep rattlers away, and are harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bettyinga, I really was hesitant about even coming back this year. Last spring, the day before we left to go back north, I was standing on the walkway behind the house when a large snake came slithering out from under the attached shed and nearly slithered right over my feet! I jumped, ran and yelled an obscenity or two, then stood back to see if I could identify it. It looked exactly like a Mojave rattler, but no sign of any rattles. So we decided it must have been a gopher snake (harmless). It did shake me up, as a Mojave was killed across the street from us just a couple of weeks earlier.

    I really never worried about the snakes before, now I'm jittery. I really think I should be back up north admiring my baby granddaughter's new belly button.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well come on back then, Mom. That adorable little granddaughter of yours needs someone to keep her company ALL NIGHT while she's awake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I said "admire her belly button", NOT stay up all night with her. I've been there, done that. Now it's your turn, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a brave woman Granny!

    ReplyDelete