August 10, 2010: Thinking Ahead


I'm loving the way the pole beans are growing through the lattice on the inside of the patio. I'm thinking I might tap into the irrigation pipe and put a drip line all along this west end of the patio next year, to take advantage of both sections of lattice. These are dry beans, but I have grown green pole beans in that corner before, and it was really easy to pick them right from the patio. In case you're wondering, that's not Cookie, my pet rabbit, up there on the ledge. That's my "scare robin"! We always have problems with robins nesting on those beams, so have resorted to setting critters around and/or tacking up hardware cloth between the rafters.

If I'm MIA for the next couple of days, I have good reason. I didn't even make it out to the garden yesterday, I was so busy inside the house. I decided to tackle the carpet cleaning for now, so I steam cleaned the living room, dining room and hall. Then I swept down the Halloween decorations....OK, you probably call them spider webs. Washed the windows, polished and rearranged the furniture, cleaned the lamps and lampshades, dusted the fireplace hearth and mantle, ran all the washable knickknacks through the dishwasher, scrubbed the entry on my hands and knees, washed the entry hall rug and hung it out on the patio railing to dry. Ran to the computer and printed out updated grandchildren pictures for the picture frames, cleaned said frames and glass and put in the pictures. I even dismantled the dining room chandelier and washed all those little prisms and rehung them. That's practically a full afternoon's job in itself.

Sheesh, it smelled so good in here last night, you wouldn't know the dogs lived at our house! I'm on a roll, so today I'm tackling the kitchen.

Yes, there was Chinese take out for dinner.

18 comments:

  1. I help my wife clean house every Sunday, and absolutely hate it. However, I guess if I were retired, i'd have to find something to do....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Halloween is just around the corner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) You funny Granny, I have some of those Halloween decorations up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Granny. Come to my house. I have plenty for you to clean ;>

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be something in the air--I'm on a cleaning streak this week too! Hope this passes!
    :)

    Love your beans climbing through the lattice too. Makes it look jungle-y!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Granny, I think that you have more energy then most people at the age of 30! I get accused of having a lot of energy...but, I think that you have a lot more energy then me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fast food to the rescue!!

    Good Lord, Woman. I need some of your energy. I'm sitting here thinking I need to do this, I need to do that, I need to do the other. The only thing I really feel like doing is taking a nap. Go, Granny, Go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Housecleaning days are so worth it! I love the smell of a clean house. I only get around to days like yours once in a blue moon, but it's always very satisfying. The garden takes precedence.

    Hurray for Chinese takeout, you earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear AG, reading your days' activities makes me feel both incredibly tired and incredibly lazy. I can hardly bring myself to wash a plate and spoon sometimes, and I'm younger than some of your grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, does "scare robin" work like our scare Owl?? I hope not, because nothing is afraid of our owl except the neighbor's dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. EG, Mr. Granny helped for a while. He poops out too quickly ;-)

    ********
    I thought about that, Erin, but decided there was time to redecorate before mid-October. It's all your fault, anyway. You are my motivator.

    ********
    Daphne, it would probably be a joy to clean your brand new house.

    ********

    LOL, Kelly. I'm glad I'm not alone!

    ********
    Sue, I fear my cleaning will soon come to an end, because.....the tomatoes are on!!!!! I'll be making salsa tomorrow :-)

    ********
    Robin, I run hot and cold. I pour it on, then poop out and have to take a day to rest.

    ********
    Cheryl, I'm going, I'm going...as fast as I can!

    ********
    Alison, me too. If I would spend as much time cleaning house as I do gardening (or blogging)my house would be spotless!

    ********
    Jennifer, when you get my age, you have to work hard and fast.....'cause you never know how much more time you have to get it done!

    ********
    Memmsnyc, I have a scare owl, too.

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Di5FEUV8sqI/TBWleMkWMkI/AAAAAAAAFfY/eH2CJRdhegU/s400/2010-06-13+Garden+Owl.jpg

    I have him hanging under my lettuce shade now.

    ********
    Awww, Ribbit. You are my hero, too! I *heart* you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I were a man, I would want a wife *just* like you. Seriously. Does Mr. Granny have any idea how lucky he really is, not only to have you as his wife but for over 48 years now?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liisa, me too!

    ********
    Thyme2, probably not. It will be 48 years next month. Maybe by the time we hit fifty he will, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! you have energy! Everything looks wonderful - great tomatoes, mine are just getting ripe - I love them. I just posted a recipe I invented for green beans and I put a link to you - Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gloria, I'm on my way over to your blog right now!

    ReplyDelete