September 13, 2010: Harvest Monday

Is it telling that I've nearly forgotten Harvest Monday two weeks in a row? I think I'm getting weary of harvesting. Maybe I'm just weary of preserving the harvest, and happy that the cooler weather is slowing down the growth of the vegetables. This past week was really cool, a couple of nights it dipped down into the forties, and for a day or two the temperatures couldn't quite reach 70. That's a good 15 degrees cooler than our normal mid September weather.


Monday's harvest included crisp lettuce, cucumbers, strawberries, beans and tomatoes. The squash in this photo are from last week. I'll leave them out on the patio to cure for a couple of weeks.


Thursday I harvested a big bunch of basil, and put it into a jar of water as an edible centerpiece on the patio table. This was also the day I was surprised to find a pound of Kennebec potatoes that I'd missed earlier. I found two sweet bell peppers that had been knocked off the branches by the wind. The last of the mid-summer carrots were pulled, not enough for a meal, but a good snack for the rabbit. There were also bush and pole beans, and cucumbers.


Saturday the Brandywine tomatoes kicked into high gear. These are still my very favorites, and will be grown again next year. The lone zucchini bush is still producing.


A nice bunch of lettuce was picked on Saturday. I also picked three pounds of pickling cucumbers, that went right into the jars without being photographed. More tomatoes, of course, but I did pull a couple more plants. The Brandywines are giving us all we want and more right now, and the Kellogg's Breakfast have also finally decided to ripen.

Week of September 6-September 12

86 oz. cucumbers
12 oz. lettuce
20 oz. bush beans
18 oz. pole beans
425 oz. tomatoes
4 oz. strawberries
8 oz. sweet peppers
4 oz. carrots
16 oz. potatoes
19 oz. zucchini
6 oz. basil

Total for week: 618 ounces = 38.6 pounds
Year to date: 697 pounds



Daphne's Dandelions is the host for Harvest Monday, where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. Please visit her blog and leave a link, so we can enjoy your harvest photos!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that your zucchini plant is still producing, especially since I can plainly see that they are battling some sort of powdery mildew. The rest of your harvest is impressive as usual. It's funny how the weather can go from so hot to so cold in a blink of an eye, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brandywines. I have had to give up growing them since I moved from central Washington to coastal western Washington - as my summers are way too mild to grow those beauties to maturity. But I have really fond memories of the many years of growing them when I lived in the hot and dry central part of the state. Oh my they were good and yours look like classic Brandywines - made my mouth water looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your temperatures has really dropped! Chilly! Fall is in the air. Our temps have dropped to mid 70s. I love your lettuce, it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandywines ARE the best!! I got my first ones in FOUR YEARS--so I guess this hot, humid summer had SOME purpose! I hear ya on dreading "putting up" more stuff. I'm done with it emotionally, unfortunatly the garden doesn't realize it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sorry to see what happened to your pickles, but your harvest looks amazing! Those butternuts have me jealous. Mine haven't set fruit yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you. You've got the three main ingredients for a salad from the garden at the same time (lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers). That didn't happen once this year for me.

    I have a better appreciation for the Brandywines now. Once they fully ripen they taste so darned good...I just didn't get that many tomatoes per plant. Was it just me? Did you get more than a few tomatoes per plant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thyme2, I'm enjoying the weather this week, low 80s every day. I wish the zucchini would just die already ;-) It will have to come out soon. I don't want all that powdery mildew in the compost (not that it would fit, anyway), so I have just four garbage pickup days left to get it all in the trash.

    ********
    Kitsap, they were by far the best tasting tomato this year. I thought most of the tomatoes were lacking in sweetness from previous years....almost watery tasting.

    ********
    Meemsnyc, temps are back up in the 80s now. I've felt like we're on a roller coaster with our temps this summer.

    ********
    Sue, yes, it's the emotional aspect. I think it's because everything can't be canned and over with at once, it just trickles in. A small amount to can makes just as much mess in the kitchen as a large amount. Maybe I should go back to growing determinate varieties of tomatoes, where most of the crop comes in a shorter period of time.

    ********

    Barbie, the butternuts were my best crop ever! I still have a dozen or more to pick. We had the smallest one in the garden for dinner last night, and it was so delicious!

    ********
    Cheryl, so far only the rabbit is getting the lettuce, but I have some beautiful Little Gem ready to pick this week, and it will me mine....all mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think I'll have to try a brandywine next year...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful as always. I'll never know how you manage to keep everything so healthy for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those brandywine tomatoes look wonderful! I might try some next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always a beautiful harvest. I think next year you have to keep to a reasonable number of tomato plants if you don't want to wear yourself out too much. Preserving it all can be very time consuming. Or maybe you can start teaching the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shawn Ann, I love them. I get quite a good yield from them, too. I guess low yields are common, so I've been lucky.

    ********
    Ribbit, not everything is so healthy. I'd say about half the tomatoes look really lush, the other half not so great, but they're all still giving me tomatoes. I've been cutting off damaged stems, so a couple of the plants are nearly bald.

    ********
    Matron, they are always the most flavorful of all my tomatoes.

    ********
    Daphne, I really need to consider my age in the future. This year was kind of rough for me, I get all kinds of stressed out when I can't keep up with garden, yard and house.

    I had a grandkid helping today...just getting ready to blog about her ;-)

    ReplyDelete