March 26, 2013 - Thank You, Mother Nature!

Finally!  After two weeks of *brrrrrr*, we got a day of lovely, warm sunshine!  I was champing at the bit to get out to the garden, so I grabbed my seeds, my gloves, my tools and a flat of seedlings and headed for "The Kennel Garden".


The Kennel Garden

As you may remember, Son John had given me that metal frame, knowing I'd find good use for it.  And I did.  It would be the perfect frame for attaching netting to keep leaf miners from my beets and spinach!  It also had ten 18"x18" squares already divided for me.  It's not a square foot garden, it's a square 1-1/2 foot garden!

I had put a lot of chopped up leaves in the bed earlier this year, so I moved the frame off of the bed, got my handy dandy little electric tiller out and made quick work of digging them in.  Then I replaced the frame and hauled in ten big buckets of composted manure, adding on bucket full to each of the ten squares.  I leveled and smoothed everything out, then set a sprinkler to run for 30 minutes while I took a lunch break.

Once the bed was well soaked, I began planting.  I planted one square with Olympia Hybrid spinach seedlings, one square of Space Hybrid spinach seedlings, and two squares of Tyee Hybrid spinach seeds.  Another square was planted with Paris Island Cos lettuce seedlings, then one square of Wild Garden Mix lettuce (teeny-tiny just germinated soil blocks).  Another square was planted with Ace Hybrid beet seeds, and another with Ruby Queen beet seeds.  Square #9 got an Ingot carrot seed mat, and square #10 was left bare for a second carrot mat (as yet not made).  Leftover Buttercrunch and Little gem lettuces filled in a couple of bare spots.


Tulle netting was attached with clamps to keep the leaf miners at bay.


Some of the seedlings are visible under the netting.


 Spinach and lettuce seedlings.


 More lettuce seedlings.


 There was just enough room at the end of the frame to put in a planter and two pots for planting future flowers.  Peas are planted on the outside of the kennel, on the left and on the right.  This end, on the outside, was planted with 6 seed mats of parsnips.  I planted them this morning, and had room for three mats each of Andover and Hollow Crown.  The small tomato cages are in a bed that will be the future home of a dozen or so sweet pepper plants.


 The Sugar Lace snap peas began emerging yesterday!  

I must get back to work, before it turns cold again.  I still have a row to till for future cabbages and broccoli seedlings, as well as another potato bed to prep.  Happy gardening, and may the sun shine upon you  :-)

14 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your peas sprouting. I tried to plant peas today, but one section of soil was still frozen. Soon though. We are also in a warmup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, my shelling peas aren't showing yet, even though they were planted the same day as the snap peas. I'm late on the Yukon Gold potatoes, not because of the weather, because of the aching gardener!

      Delete
  2. I am glad you were able to enjoy your nice day and working out in your garden! Not so here but maybe some day!! The sun did shine tho! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I hope Mother Nature blesses me with warm sunshine again tomorrow, I need to get those potatoes planted!

      Delete
  3. Over here on this side of the mountains we are supposed to get a sunny, warm weekend, starting on Friday. I hope it happens. Today was nice, in the 50s, but no sun. I got a lot done today, and yesterday as well. My peas are coming up nicely too. I love the way that metal frame fits right over your bed so perfectly. Brilliant idea to use it to hold the tulle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I watered well yesterday, using house water (our irrigation water isn't on yet), so of course it looks like we'll get some West side WA rain today! That usually happens. I guess it was too much to ask for two sunny days in a row.

      Delete
  4. Right away I am going to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming yet again
    to read other news.

    Feel free to surf to my site - discipline quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice set up.

    Now, what's this sunshine thing you're talking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, IG. It was such a fleeting thing.

      Delete
  6. wow you sure have been busy! so nice to see a garden taking shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. P., I've been telling Mother Nature to warm up and melt your snow. She just ignores me!

      Delete
  7. I'm still melting snow here in Iowa. We may get near our average highs (upper50s) this week, but will still be below them. I think I have another month or so before my gardening season begins. Your beds look so nice and pretty. I'll expect mine to look as nice when you're done with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get right on that, Langela. As soon as I recuperate from today's potato planting.

      Delete
  8. You're so cool! I do not suppose I've truly read something like this
    before. So great to discover another person with some unique thoughts on this subject matter.
    Really.. thank you for starting this up. This website is one thing that is required on the web, someone with a little originality!


    My blog post :: MI40 Scam

    ReplyDelete