March 3, 2013 - And So It Begins

Spring must be near. I spent the day cleaning up the garden shed. I should have taken "before" pictures to show just what a mess had accumulated over the winter. I couldn't even walk through it, it was filled with folding fencing, plant supports, dirty buckets of all shapes and sizes, lumber, garden tools propped against the walls, the old rototiller that ran its last time when we dug in the leaves earlier this spring. And dirt, dirt, dirt....everywhere!


I called Son John and asked him to bring me a 1/2 yard load of composted manure from the nursery, so he loaded what he could in the dump trailer, and put the rest on a tarp in the garage.  While he was here, I had him install a garden tool hanger on the back wall, so everything now has a place of its own.  The rototiller went home with Son John, who will rebuild the motor and hopefully get another 30 years of service from it.


The cart of compost will stay nice and dry, and it's close to the garden now.  It has to be taken in by the bucket load, as there is no gate large enough to take the trailer into the garden.  All the trash was picked up, and the leaf blower did a good job of clearing out the dirt and cobwebs.  Buckets and pots were neatly stacked for now, and will get a good washing when I have time.


Shelves were all cleaned off and items neatly arranged.  The mini-greenhouse was readied for the cool weather seedlings.  Lights are hung inside, and trays are waiting to be filled with seedling mix.


After we were so nice to our spoiled little dogs last fall, moving the kennel over next to the patio and covering it so they would have a dry area to "do their duty" through the winter months, they never did use it.  Oh, Annie did pee in it, enough to kill the grass, but the poops were still all over the back yard.  So yesterday, when Daughter Amy, Granddaughter Alicia and her Boyfriend Aaron were here, we took off the tarp and they and Mr. Granny carried the kennel back out to the garden for me.  I had them set it in so the long side was parallel to the cedar fence, with enough space to walk behind it.  That will give me a nice long 6' high chain link for snap peas this spring, and for the Fortex pole beans in the summer/fall.  I'll be able to pick from both inside and outside the chain link.  We also left enough space in the corner for the compost bin, which I'm in the process of building.  I still have several bags of leaves to be added once I get a sturdy area for them.


I also moved the 4'x8' garden box to the center of the kennel.  That has always been unused (but filled with flowers) space, but I needed a spot for the spinach and beets.  They have to be covered to keep them from being infested with leaf miners, so I had planned on installing PVC hoops to hold the netting.  However, last fall John brought over this metal rack from his work, thinking I could find good use for it.  Aha!  Perfect for holding the netting!  I'll have to fill the box up with good compost first.  That's going to take a lot of bucket loads!

Inside, leek seeds planted three days ago are already emerging, as are several lettuce seeds that are only two days from planting.  They will soon be moved to the mini-greenhouse in the garden shed, and joined by yet to be planted cabbage and broccoli.  Next week the peppers will be started, followed by tomatoes and flowers, which will all be grown on these shelves in the house.

Spring has begun.


22 comments:

  1. Well, you certainly have been busy! Lookin' good! Your rest time has ended for this year! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I covet your shed. That's the one thing we don't have at the farm, a proper shed. All my stuff is stored "all around".

    Spring is coming!!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st. Man, I LOVE my shed! Even if it does take a day of cleaning to get into it each spring, at least it's a spot to put all that stuff! Yay is right. I see a vase of daffodils in my house within the next two days :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited that you are beginning your season! Can't imagine your shed cluttered...it looks fantastic now! I'm growing many of the pepper and tomatoes you sent me this year:) So excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tosh, I'll be planting those same pepper seeds, but I'm changing my selection of tomato varieties this year. I am ready for something new!

      Delete
  4. Wow, how cool that you can get started on Spring! And what a neat shed. I am so anxious to get started; I'll stay tuned to follow your progress.
    You are in the Tri-Cities area, right? I remember when we lived in Moses Lake in the early 80s, Spring always came earlier down in the Tri-Cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ray, I'm in Pasco. It's still cold at night, expecting 27F tonight, but the next ten days/nights are looking really good for planting potatoes, peas and onions! I have a really busy 2 weeks ahead of me. Unfortunately our irrigation water is about 1 1/2 months away, and our soil is bone dry. I'm not looking forward to having to use city water...$$$!

      Delete
  5. You must get ditch irrigation water. That takes me back to the Northwest! I grew up in the Boise Valley with a shovel over my shoulder!
    We are expecting more moderate temps coming up as well, but things are still so wet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, yes...all we can use from mid-April to mid-October. Nice to live by the mighty Columbia River! Of course, our water comes to us through a faucet. We don't have to dig any ditches :-)

      Delete
  6. Great job you have done there. I need to get out in the garden to tidy up. It is warming up here slowly but the freezing cold wind does not encourage me to get out yet! Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, the wind finally drove me inside yesterday. Even though it was 54F when I came in, the wind was icy cold. It was in the low 30s this morning, so I do hope it warms enough to get more cleanup done. I'm in the mood!

      Delete
  7. You didn't show a before picture, but the after picture is so organized. I always find it amazing how messy the shed is each spring. Most times we are tossing stuff in there just before the first predicted snowfall. Won't it be nice to start growing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I always have good intentions, but last minute garden and patio cleanup end up with hoses and lawn furniture all just tossed in there and stacked up. But the dirt...I don't know where it all comes from!

      Delete
  8. Your shed is so big and neat! I'll bet it makes planning your upcoming chores easier knowing your shed is all organized and ready. We still have an average of a foot of snow on the ground, so not even close to being ready for gardening yet. I did look at photos of the pool last summer just to feel a bit of hope that warm weather will come. Someday. Maybe. Hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Langela, we're not in the clear as far as weather is concerned. We got snow in March last year, but it's not a usual happening here. I can count on having a few freezing nights between now and the 1st of May though.

      Delete
  9. I wish we had a shed like yours... Right now all of the gardening "stuff" is in the garage and I have to either carry it through the house, or go around and carry it to the back. Oh well, one day I will have my shed. :-) I can't wait to see what you're planting and how your garden will perform this year. I was in awe of your harvest last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anke, we sold out pickup last year so I have half of a garage to put the "junk" in now! Maybe I can keep the shed for what it was intended, garden equipment not patio furniture. It would be much easier to keep clean through the winter if we didn't have all the patio stuff stacked in the middle of it.

      Delete
  10. oh my spring is here for you for sure!! So jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mrs. P. Except it froze last night, so spring is near, but not quite here. It will be another nearly two months before I can plant warm weather crops.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness your shed is so clean and spacious! Ok, you have inspired me to take photos of before and after for mine... I haven't gone in there since last summer so I'm really, really scared....! Congrats on your kickoff for the new gardening year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, Erin, I got all enthused and then the weather turned on me. Weather man said it was going to be nice all week....he lied! Cold, cold, cold :-(

      Delete