July 27, 2013 - Today in the Garden




I dug the last of the potatoes today, 17.4 pounds.  I ended up with just over 71 pounds total from the two beds.  That's not as good as last year's 110 pounds, but the Russets that were mistakenly labeled as Yukon Gold didn't yield well at all, while the Red Norlands were fantastic.  Anyway, it was my second biggest harvest since I began keeping track in 2009.  I'll probably find a few more missed potatoes as I work up that bed.

I got the pea trellis finished, and planted a packet of sugar snap peas.  I also put in a short row of bunching onions.  Our weather is supposed to cool down somewhat, with temperatures in the 80s and 90s.  Hopefully we've seen the last of our triple digit days!

 I love to look at my garden at dusk, and it's so nice and cool outside.  

 It's becoming wall to wall plants out there!

 The sweet  pepper plants are loaded.  Most of the plants are around 3 feet high, with a few topping 4 feet.

There aren't as many peppers on this plant, but these two are huge!

12 comments:

  1. Your plants just look so large and healthy and happy! I can't believe the big butternut squash in your last post. You have built up your soil so well. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, I can certainly tell the difference in the "old" garden and the new section that was planted for the first time this year. The new section hasn't had the amendments to the soil like the old section, and doesn't perform as well. It's especially noticeable with the root crops...carrots, beets and onions.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy with fall planting even in the heat! Everything looks wonderfully lush, especially your loaded bell pepper plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phuong, I should have a really good sweet pepper harvest this year, if they ever color up! Well, even if they don't, I'll have a lot of green peppers in the freezer.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful harvest--beautiful garden.
    Glad to hear about those norlands.....I'm definitely giving those a try next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, the Red Norlands have always been good performers for me, and an excellent, firm, delicious tasting potato. It seems to store well, too. Last year I put some small ones in a bag in the garage and forgot all about them. I happened to find them this spring, and they were still in good shape and used as seed potatoes. They weren't even soft and wrinkled!

      Delete
  4. I like the garden photo at dusk. So peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, look at those peppers!! I got my first large one this year. It was a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ribbit, I've got some humongous ones out there. Most of them will go to my youngest son, who eats them like apples. Many will go to youngest daughter, who loves them stuffed. I might get to keep a few for my fajitas!

      Delete
  6. It's been half a billion years since I checked in here and WOW I just love your garden. It's more beautiful then ever. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn! It's been a billion years since you last blogged! I've missed you :-(

      Delete