July 5, 2013 - Jammin' It

Yesterday my youngest son came in with a dishpan full of lovely apricots, so this morning I managed to round up enough sugar, lemons, pectin and crushed pineapple to make the first batch of apricot-pineapple jam.  Of course, I first had to find the old food grinder, because my 6-month old %^#*@ piece of crap Cuisinart $$$ food processor broke a couple of weeks ago, while grating some soft Mozzarella cheese.  It had been a few years since I'd used the grinder, so I had to look all through the kitchen, then out in the garage, then back deeper into the kitchen cabinets before I finally located it.

 Everything's ready, let's get cooking!

 How cool are these old food choppers?  This one belonged to my Mother, and could possibly be as old as I am!  It probably didn't cost over $5 new, and gave her and I both many, many years of service without breaking, unlike my 6-month old %^#*@ piece of crap Cuisinart $$$ food processor!  Do you sense I might be just a tad unhappy with Cuisinart?


 I still have the original instructions.

Of course, there is a bit of mess involved that one doesn't have to contend with when using a food processor.  A thick towel, strategically placed on the floor, takes care of that little problem.

Six pints of jam, cooling on the counter.  Now I have to go to the store and stock up on more sugar, lemon juice, pineapple, pectin and jar lids.  Or freeze the remaining apricots and deal with them later.

14 comments:

  1. You inspire me every time I stop by your blog!!!! Yum!
    I have some of my husband's family kitchen ware from the grandparents and that stuff
    is made to last. :-) robbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie, it sure is! I'm still using my Mother's old Hamilton Beach electric knife. My newer one died long ago, but this old one just keeps plugging along :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh,my! That jam sure looks delicious although I have never tasted any apricot/pineapple jam before. I also have a meat grinder (that is what I call it) that belonged to my Mom and I love it. I never would have thought of using it for that. I use mine to grind leftover roast or chicken and add mayo and seasonings for sandwiches. I have a mini Cuisinart and love it. It is quite old and I use it a lot. Hope it continues to work now that I have said that! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, that's the only kind of jam my husband will eat! I used the old food grinder to make pickle relish a couple of years ago. It does a good job on the cucumbers. I usually get them a bit too fine in the processor. My old Cuisinart lasted well over 25 years, the new one lasted 6 months before the plastic broke where it locks onto the base, making it unusable. Reading about the problems others have had with theirs doing the same, and the poor Cuisinart customer service, I've decided not to fight them over the warranty. Instead, I'll go buy another (much cheaper) brand. What makes me so mad at myself is that I had two Hamilton Beach processors after we sold our AZ property, but when this Cuisinart came up on sale I gave the other two to my two sons!

      Delete
  3. OK, you've got my attention now! I love apricots and apricot-pineapple jam. Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Ray! You and Mr. Granny. He'll only eat apricot-pineapple jam or grape jelly!

      Delete
  4. Well now, that 6-month old %^#*@ piece of crap Cuisinart $$$ food processor just didn't know who it was dealin' with, now, did it?

    Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yer durn tootin' it didn't, Ribbit. I showed it, though. I put it out in the garage where I don't have to look at the 6-month old %^#*@ piece of crap! :-D

      Delete
  5. Mm. I love apricots. The germans make such nice sweets of them in chocolate cakes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, I have a killer apricot spice cake recipe, one of my very favorites.

      Delete
  6. Sounds wonderful Granny! I haven't made any jam so far this year. I did freeze berries to make jam at a later date.

    I have an old grinder too. I don't think it's as old as you...I mean yours! It's probably at least as old as me though. Those old gadgets seem to last forever! I also love my 1970's avocado green blender. It keeps going and going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have an old grinder too. I don't think it's as old as you..." I resemble that remark! My best cyber-buddy my foot!

      I finished up the apricots today, with 8 more pints of jam. I still have some left from last year, I think I have 22 pints of it now!

      Delete
  7. Golden jars of goodness! I always thought apricot pineapple jam tasted like warm sunshine. Interestingly the husband's family puts maraschino cherries in their apricot pineapple preserves.

    It's awful when new kitchen appliances break, what a letdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phuong, I've seen recipes that call for the cherries, but I don't think we'd care for them. I love just the flavor of the pineapple and apricots (or peaches and pineapple).

      Yes, my new Black and Decker can opener broke, too. At least it stopped opening cans. But I had loaned my granddaughter my Hamilton Beach, and I got it back! I had two of everything after we sold our AZ winter home, but I gave most of the stuff away. I should have kept it!

      Delete