On Wednesday, I set out Cherokee Purple (4), Sunsugar (1), Matt's Wild Cherry (1) tomatoes and Petite Yellow marigolds. I also planted one hill of Bush Champion cucumbers in a container of old potting soil. Chances are they will do poorly, but I need something tall in the corner between the arborvitae and the garden shed. If they grow, great. If not, I'll dump that soil into the compost and begin with fresh mix and seed.
Today I transplanted Rutgers (3) and Russian Baby (1) tomatoes, and Quadrato Rosso D' Asti sweet peppers (4). It was really windy, so the tomato and pepper plants all got plastic bag protection from the elements. Next I planted a double row of Topcrop bush beans and a double row of Scarlet Nantes carrots (home made seed tapes). My first planting of carrots are now developing true leaves, the second planting is just peeking through the soil, and this is my third planting. I'm hoping to provide us, the rabbit and our kids with carrots all year, so I'll be planting them every few weeks until mid-July.
I pulled almost all of the radishes today. They were getting eaten by ants, and some were splitting, so I decided that area could be put to better use. I'll plant more bush beans in their place, as that's another vegetable that we ran short of this past year.
I checked underneath the netting, and it seems to be doing its job of keeping the leaf miners at bay. The spinach leaves are pristine, while those in unprotected areas are already showing the leaf miner ravages. I did an "oops" in this covered bed. I didn't think my Swiss chard had germinated at all, and I thought I had planted two rows of beets. Now that I can identify the plants, I see I have one row of beets and one row of chard, and the rows are only 3 or 4 inches apart! I'm going to have to do some selective thinning, and try to stagger the plants. The turnip germination in this bed was spotty, so I'll be doing some reseeding soon.
Broccoli and garlic. The tiny broccoli plant at the lower right of the bed is from the same batch as the others, but the wind broke the stem when it was younger, and it never did recover fully.