May 23, 2012 - Rotten Weather Ramblings


Unseasonably cold weather has hit us again this week.  It can't seem to make it above 65F, when we should be enjoying temperatures in the 80s.  It's also windy and rainy.  It sprinkles just enough to moisten the soil, then the wind blows 18-30 miles per hour and dries up all the moisture.  After the growth spurt the garden took last week, this week it's just in a state of suspended growth, so there really isn't anything for me to do....I can't even find a weed to pull.  Sad, huh?

########

I'm happy to report the new clothesline is as sturdy and useful as the one it replaced.  Since we put it up, just over two weeks ago, I've only used the electric clothes dryer for a total of ten minutes.  That was to pre-soften and fluff up Mr. Granny's jeans and shirts before I hung them on the line to finish drying.  Mr. Granny does not like stiff, line dried jeans!  Yesterday I even managed to dry the sheets in between rain showers, thanks to the wind.

########

I found the following, in an email newsletter from a seed company, rather humorous:

"Finding a good location in your yard is probably the most important step in creating a good pepper garden. Peppers are sun lovers and prefer a full sun to produce the best tasting tomatoes." 

Just think of all these years I've wasted, growing tomato plants for my tomatoes.

########

A few weeks ago, I bought some pansies for my front porch planters.  Alicyn, my three year old granddaughter, was here visiting, so I let her "help" with the planting.  It seemed like a good time to give her the responsibility of caring for a plant of her own, so I found a pretty little pot and, with her help, we planted a pretty yellow pansy in it for her to take home.

She took the plant home, and put it in her play house, where it went without water until it died.  When she found it dead she carried it out to her Mother and said "Take it to Grandma. She has special plant medicine".

The next day, while Alicyn was at daycare, Amy brought the pot over to me.  I dug up one of my yellow pansies, which had grown quite a bit larger than the original, and potted it up.  I picked off all but one of the blossoms, to make it look a bit more like the one that had died, but I told Amy to tell Alicyn that my special plant medicine just fixed the plant so that it grew bigger this time.

When presented with the new healthy plant, Alicyn declared "This is the best day EVER! Grandma is the best fixer in the whole WORLD!"

That probably wasn't the best way to teach a child about gardening, but what can I say?  I'm easy.


32 comments:

  1. I *Love* the story about your special plant medicine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Cristy, she's very wise for a 3 year old, isn't she? We have no idea where she got that!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet story about your grand-daughter. Let her parents teach her how it really works, Grandmas are for magic.

    I also love the oops in the seed company literature. I think someone took a sentence originally written about tomatoes, and repurposed it.

    Sorry about your crappy weather. It's wet and cold and miserable here too, on this side of the mountains. The weekend looks promising, though. We're heading to Leavenworth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, it's supposed to be nice this weekend. I hope so, for your sake. The Leavenworth area is so beautiful, we haven't been up there in years. Sometimes I wish we hadn't got rid of our motor home!

      Delete
  3. Love the pepper plant growing tomatoes. Where did I go wrong with mine? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, we could have had gardens just half the size they are if only we'd known we could grow tomatoes on our pepper plants ;-)

      Delete
  4. I had the whole pepper plant thing wrong, too. And I have plenty of weeds for you to pull if you're feeling sad. In fact, I have enough that depression will never enter your life again, if weeding makes you happy.

    Our garden problem is no rain. We haven't had any for quite some time. The cracks in the yard are almost big enough to twist an ankle in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Langela, give me a week, and I'll be complaining about the weeds!

      After all the rain we've had, I'm still going to have to water. This wind is just drying everything out.

      Delete
  5. Lol, very cute.
    I feel your pain in regards to the weather, it's like March all over again here. The wind has left me wondering if the tall broccoli are going to just snap their stems and fall over.

    Can't wait for some more sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anywhere, I think March was warmer! We just get teased with a few nice days, then the cold weather (and wind) hits us again.

      Delete
  6. There's plenty of work here that you can do! Just hop on a plane and I can keep you busy for about a week!

    You are one magical Grandma for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the weather smartens up for you soon! We are stuck in gloomy raining cool weather for the rest of the week up here. Loved your story about the plant medicine. Grandma's really can fix anything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet we can, Mrs. P.! That's what Grandmas are for!

      Delete
  8. Crafty is more like it. Ah well, nothing wrong with having Super Powers. Can you fix the crick in my neck?? I heard you're the best fixer -upper ever!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, if I had such great magical powers, I'd fix the spasms in my lower back. I guess it's a good thing I can't garden this week :-(

      Delete
  9. Not to be too obnoxious about it, but we're having warm, sunny days here in the Southeast. Occasional rain, too. I pulled grass out of my raised bed and am feeling very righteous about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianefaith, oh sure, rub it in! The sun did peek through the clouds for a few minutes, but I was on my way into the grocery store at the time. I did fill a container with potting mix, so maybe I can plant something in it today. Eventually.

      Delete
  10. Did you have a rotten cold summer last year? I hope you get your heat back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Daphne, last year we had our first year of absolutely no 100 degree days, and my poorest garden production ever. Looking back at my blog, I'm about on the same level of growth this year as last, but way behind 2010. Although, in reading my old May posts, I see I'm usually complaining about the abnormally cool weather! I was digging my first potatoes on June 5 in 2010, so in a couple of weeks we'll see how this year compares.

      Delete
  11. That story about the plant medicine is priceless! I would love to have seen the look on her face. You know she's going to tell everyone about that and how she has the best Grandma ever! :-)

    Maybe you should send some of that plant medicine to the seed company to fix their "tomatoes". Or was that peppers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st. Man, if my grandchildren have just half the good memories of me as I have of my maternal grandfather, I'll be a very happy woman. The bond between a grandchild and a grandparent can be so very special.

      Delete
  12. Amazing thing, this special plant medecine! ;-) Love it!

    I hope your weather will get better soon again and it will get warmer. Here in Europe we have summer weather at the moment and we cant wait for it to cool down a little bit. I will send some of our heat in your direction ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris, it's too bad I can't bottle and sell that special plant medicine!

      Yes, please send me some of your warm weather ;-)

      Delete
  13. Annie, If you can't find a weed to pull your welcome to come here! Maybe you could fix all my plants like you did your granddaughters! lol Your a great grandma. Good for you for not using your dryer! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Nancy. My magic didn't work on the dead broccoli plant today. Don't tell Alicyn!

      Delete
  14. My peppers have been holding out on me! I have yet to see a tomato from them! LOL!

    You really do have special plant medicine judging from your garden. I was ready for a day (or two) of rain as the garden and yard was dry but now I am heartily sick of the wet and cool and am ready for it to be sunny and warmer again. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitsap, somebody needs a proofreader!

      I must have used my magic plant medicine in the garden yesterday. This morning the broccoli plant looks normal, with no wilting at all! I pulled some soil up around the stem last night, I'll be sure to add a bit more today.

      Delete
  15. Oh how sweet! I love the story of your fixing the pansies! What an awesome grandma you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. That's what grandmas are for!

      Delete
  16. I need you to come to my garden with your special plant medicine!

    ReplyDelete