July 2, 2012 - Harvest Monday


A small Gonzales Cabbage, a larger Pixie cabbage and a giant Spacemaster cucumber that was hiding from me.  Mr. Granny said the cucumber was still sweet and crisp.

Raspberries and sweet onions.
  
The first beans of the season, but certainly not the last!

This broccoli was just part of a large head.  I broke just enough of them off of the main head for our dinner, and they weighed 5.3 ounces.

More French Filet beans.

I dug up some Russet potatoes for dinner.  Some were really tiny, and some were terribly scabby.  They weren't nearly as perfect as the Dark red Norland and the Yukon Gold, but they sure did make good mashed potatoes.

Some, like this one, were really fine.  At 12-1/2 ounces it is perfect for baking or French fries.

I see more zucchini bread and raspberry shortcakes in our future!

The first batch of onions that have been drying in the shed were trimmed and weighed in at nearly 14 pounds.

Here they are all spread out on the patio table.

A productive trip out to the garden brought in a 2-pound Pixie cabbage, a 1-pound head of broccoli, and nearly 3 pounds of mixed green and purple beans.

Cleaned and weighed.

This day's picking stuffed a one-gallon bag, with some left over.

The next morning, a bowl of mixed beans, ready to blanch and freeze, and a few purple Velour beans for our dinner.

 Blanched, cooled, drained and spread on wax paper lined pans for freezing before they are vacuum bagged.


Two 1-pound and one 10.4 oz. bags for the freezer.

The remaining onions from the drying line in the shed, another 5-plus pounds.

 At 11.5 ounces, this is quite a bit smaller than last year's largest onion......

(Last year's photo) The largest onion of 2011, at 1 pound 4 ounces (20 ounces), in Mr. Granny's large hand.  There are still some large ones in the garden though, so one may match this in weight yet.


Basil and lettuce.  This bunch of lettuce had quite a bit of earwig damage, but I still ended up with a large bowl full of inner leaves.

 The final harvest of the week included rhubarb (probably the last I'll pick for a while, the plant is looking a bit puny), a Pixie cabbage that weighed over two pounds and was beginning to split, a few small carrots, baby crookneck squash and Minigold tomatoes.

 A large bunch of parsley and a few strawberries.

Lots of beans and enough raspberries for Mr. Granny's evening snack.

I have come to the conclusion that I love to plan my garden, and I love to plant my garden, and I love to tend my garden, and I love to watch my garden grow.   I don't mind the cleaning process on them, or the cooking, or the freezing, and I love to eat them.  But I hate to pick bush beans. I even took a little stool to sit on, because it usually hurts my back to bend over that long.  Had a heck of a time getting up off the stool!  When it comes to knees and backs, the "Golden Years" aren't always so golden.

I'm letting the dogs go in the garden with me now.  There isn't much they can hurt, although Annie managed to walk through a bed of carrot seedlings last night.  Otto spent most of his garden time trying to dig up a root, right in the middle of the pathway.  They really love being in the garden with me, as they are closer to the back fence and the squirrels that traverse there, and closer to my face, when I'm sitting down picking beans, to give me quick, slobbery kisses.  There was a whole lot of picking, barking, digging and kissing going on in the garden last night!


Harvest for the week of 6/25 through 7/1 (in ounces) 

Beans, bush - 102.1
Broccoli - 15.8
Cabbage - 122.1
Carrots - 4.5
Cucumbers - 15.8
Herbs - 6.5
Lettuce - 14.1
Onions - 328 (20.5 pounds)
Potatoes - 60.3
Raspberries - 30.2
Rhubarb - 17.2
Squash, summer - 33.1
Strawberries - 4.6
Tomatoes - 24.8

Total for week:  48.69 pounds
Total for year:  140.29 pounds


Daphne's Dandelions is the host for Harvest Monday, where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. Please visit her blog and leave a link, so we can enjoy your harvest photos!

42 comments:

  1. I know it sounds nutty, but I love PLANNING the garden best of all. Maybe cuz it's winter? Maybe because it all works out in my mind? LOL! Whatever it is, I love it.

    Another fine weeks harvest. You're a good provider. Have Mr. Granny give you a smooch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Mr. Granny is too busy to smooch. Don't you know watching the Price is Right is much more important!

      Delete
  2. Oh Granny - I want to eat at your house. You have so much wonderful produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan.

      I couldn't find your comment. It turned up in the spam section of Blogger! I'm quite sure you're not a spammer :-)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous harvest! I would love to have your onions and raspberries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. The raspberries have been larger and sweeter this year, but only a fraction of last year's harvest. I'll definitely not prune them back so low the next time!

      Delete
  4. I just dislike being out in the heat. Oh and my daughters dog is loveable but annoying. He hates when I go out into the garden, so I avoid it more than I otherwise would. He really misbehaves when he sees me go out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, Annie and Otto are only annoying when the neighbor's dogs come to the fence. They both go crazy, and won't stop barking. They absolutely hate those dogs that they can't even see through the fence! One found a way to get out once, and walked over into our back yard. Both of my dogs just looked at him then walked away! The stinkers are only vicious when they know the neighbor dogs can't get to them, LOL!

      Delete
  5. I can't believe how much you got this week! And all those beans. My MIL does all the green beans for us, so I didn't even bother planting any. Yours look so delicious. I am the only one that likes them not canned. I love fresh tender-crisp beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Langela, I usually cook my beans to death, as I cannot stand squeak on the teeth beans! I have found, If I pre-cook them and then refrigerate and let them cool in the cooking liquid, they taste just like canned when reheated.

      Delete
    2. most people don't garden to get their results to taste like canned food…

      Delete
  6. I love all the harvests, but the onions are my favorites. That will be nice to have later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristy, it's too bad I can never grow storage onions as well as the sweets, as the sweet ones only keep for a few weeks.

      Delete
  7. I found my first green bean today. Maybe I will get to harvest some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW that is quite the harvest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a bad case of onion envy! My white onions didn't do squat this year, though the red ones were nice. I never had much luck with russet potatoes, so I gave up growing them.

    I'm sooo with you on the bush beans. I grow them because they are earlier, but they do a number on my back too. A stool does help, but I get tired of moving it down the row. Oh well, I shouldn't complain. Last year there were hardly any beans, bush or pole, so I'm just happy to have some this year!

    You have a lovely variety of harvests - as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, this is my first time growing the russets and I'm not happy with them. They're lovely bakers, terrible for french fries. These seem to be really susceptible to scab, and a few are actually showing some rot, even small ones.

      If I hadn't had a basket with a long handle to grab and push my old body up off that stool, I'd probably still be sitting out there in the garden, LOL!

      Delete
    2. at least you would have plenty to eat.

      Delete
  10. Mercy me what a harvest you have going! I put in one Raspberry this year. It has lived! This is the first one I have managed to get to live here! Yours look soooooo good. All or your veggies just look super. I have onion envy I admit it. :O). Your onions are huge, I am doing something wrong obviously! :O)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texan, I started with four raspberry canes. Last year I got over 17 pounds from them, but this year it looks like I'll do well to get 5 pounds :-( My fault, pruned them too short, too late. I do have pretty good luck with the onions.

      Delete
  11. Wow you have a ton of beans! And I am so jealous of your lettuce, I can't grow lettuce to save my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, I'd gladly give some of mine away! It is getting ahead of me, and I've been harvesting the worst and leaving the best for last. I will regret doing that if the pretty stuff begins bolting!

      Delete
  12. What a harvest! You've got more beans in one week than I will get all year! I only dream of having a garden as big as yours. Maybe some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that's just a single ten foot row of each of our beans, mine and yours. Those Velour are even more prolific than my green French beans, so I'm really getting a lot...and they're still loaded with beans and blossoms.

      Delete
  13. Wow your totals are amazing for this time of year. I have to agree with you on picking bush beans. I use to plant pole beans but for the last couple of years we have done only bush beans and they can sure hurt your back! And I'm not in my "golden years" yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Stoney Acres, you just wait until those "goldens" hit you!

      Tell Mrs. Stoney we had Pigs in a Blanket for dinner last night :-)

      Delete
  14. What an awesome harvest you have! Those onions are incredible! Beautiful beans too! I love the look of the purple ones. I hear you on the bending and picking; I feel that way when I pick the strawberries. My first planted beans failed this year, for some reason they sprouted and only 10 plants made it. They are blossoming now. I reseeded the bed and the second batch made it, so I'll be a bit behind with beans this year. I have fortex pole beans growing, but they have a ways to go yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutmeg, the purple beans are "Velour", seeds shared by Ed of From the Mountainside. They are extremely prolific at 3 pounds in 2 pickings of a ten foot single row! The flavor is delicious, and they turn a very dark green when cooked. Both the "Velour" and the "French Gourmet Green" beans, http://www.humeseeds.com/beanfr.htm, were planted very early, at the end of April, and survived temps in the high 30s and low 40s. My earliest planted Fortex are just now beginning to blossom.

      Delete
  15. I don't think I like beans enough. I found that I love dry ones, and I'm starting to like tiny filet ones pickled. . . but regular "must cook" green beans? Ugh ugh ugh. You always inspire and put me to shame in equal measures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Stefaneener, these tiny French filet beans are so good fresh or frozen. Picked very young, they don't have that strong "raw bean" flavor, and they don't squeak on your teeth, and they aren't fuzzy. That's what I love about the Fortex, too. Only Fortex are a hundred times bigger and easier to pick!

      Delete
  16. I really don't like picking bush beans either. But I sure like to eat them and I love seeing the purple and green beans side by side - such a pretty color combo. Your onions may not be as gargantuan as last year, but they are still pretty dang impressive! You really are the onion growing queen in my books. Could you rub some of that off on me please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Kitsap, the onions are MORE gargantuan! Read on to post #3 for the day :-)

      Delete
  17. yep, on the beans, i have a really messed up spine and thus have my "kneeling" pad that I scoot around and sit on to work in the various areas. Gets tricky though where there aren't good paths or the paths have been outgrown by other veggie plants. I'm sure you've seen the little garden wagon thing with a seat on it, right? It's still going to require bending but at least you're higher off the ground to get up. OR the kneeler with arm handles to get up with.
    here's one that rocks...a true granny's rocker:http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=garden+kneeling+bench&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1258&bih=707&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3069438668423408464&sa=X&ei=nN3yT7byE4X8qwGdicSJCQ&ved=0CGwQ8wIwBA#ps-sellers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gran, here's another back saving cart. You've probably seen them but thought others might be interested also. I don't have one but like the idea a LOT. Especially after we picked something like 36lbs of strawberries the other day. Thought it'd be a good help for that too, tho I wonder if the u-pick farms would be adverse to using one. lol

    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422219_200422219?cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-Google-_--_-188232
    I personally like the bright redness of it. Sorta reminds me of a kid's first little red wagon or tricycle. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy T., my old neighbor, Pat, tried to give me a cart one year, but I turned it down. My paths just aren't wide enough to accommodate them. I can barely get the little plastic stool into the paths between the beds. I actually find it easier to just get down on hands and knees. That's why I always have dirty knees!

      Delete
  19. what an amazing harvest week you've have! yeah bush beans are a pain to pick; I like my pole beans best but nice to have the bush beans come in quicker. Oh love those raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, that's the main reason I do the bush beans, their earliness. Of course, the two varieties I planted are especially tasty, too. I'm getting them in the freezer this morning, and hope I have many more pickings to follow, pain or no pain.

      Delete
  20. Glorious harvest this week!!! I'm wishing my beans would start producing ANYTHING at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy. I wish somebody would go out in this 95 degree heat and pick my beans!

      Delete
  21. Impressive harvest... Just getting around to poking around after cleaning up the mess from the storm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, David, I hope you didn't lose too much in that storm. At least when our big tree went down, it only took out fences, not decks and not much of the garden.

      Delete