July 30, 2012 - Harvest Monday


 7/23 - I pulled the first of the storage onions.  These were the ones I grew from seed and didn't think were going to survive.  They aren't terribly large, but much better than I expected them to be.  Only two, which were going to seed, were brought in and weighed, the others are drying.  I also picked a Honey Bear acorn squash.  It was yellow on the bottom, and the rind was so hard I couldn't puncture it with my thumbnail, indicating it was ripe.  It wasn't.  It was edible, I baked it and ate it for lunch, but it tasted more like a potato than a squash.  While prepping a garden bed, I speared a potato that had been missed in last week's big dig.  I'm still pulling small carrots, and have found one bed to be infected with nematodes.  So far I'm getting straight carrots from the other plantings.  I'm finding quite a few Victor and Bloody Butcher tomatoes, as well as more Fortex pole beans.


 7/24 - A couple of the larger tomatoes, along with Black Cherry, Isis Candy and Una Heartsock cherry tomatoes, join 3 yellow crookneck squash and a lone cucumber.


 7/25 - I had the Black Cherry tomatoes and a Jalapeno pepper chopped and chilling for dinner when I remembered I hadn't photographed the day's harvest.  I also picked a few broccoli side shoots, more tomatoes, a zucchini and a good sized bowl of strawberries.


 
 7/26 - A morning trip to the garden for carrots and pole beans, then an afternoon harvest of more carrots, more beans, cucumbers, broccoli and tomatoes.



 7/27 - My first corn harvest, and was it ever good!  Tomatoes, a green bell pepper and strawberries were also picked.


 7/28 - The first fall beets were pulled for dinner.  They are still tiny, but I was craving pan roasted beets.  Some large broccoli side shoots were found, and joined those picked earlier in the week for another dinner vegetable.  The second planting of bush beans has begun to mature, and about five different varieties of tomatoes were picked.


7/29 - Six ears of corn were picked, and four of them were promptly consumed by two people!  Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and crookneck squash completed the day's harvest.



Harvest for the week of 7/23 through 7/29 


Beans, bush - 6.5 ounces
Beans, pole - 17.6 ounces (1.1 pounds)
Beets - 7.7 ounces
Broccoli - 4.4 ounces
Carrots - 21.1 ounces (1.32 pounds)
Corn - 51.8 ounces (3.24 pounds)
Cucumbers - 37.5 ounces (2.34 pounds)
Onions - 9 ounces
Peppers, sweet - 3.9 ounces
Peppers, hot - 1.1 ounces
Potatoes - 6.4 ounces
Squash, summer - 52.3 ounces (3.27 pounds)
Squash, winter - 25.7 ounces (1.61 pounds)
Strawberries - 28.3 ounces (1.77 pounds)
Tomatoes - 175.1 ounces (10.94 pounds)



Week's total - 28.03 pounds
Year to date total - 356.38 pounds



Daphne's Dandelions is the host for Harvest Monday, where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. Please visit her blog and leave a link, so we can enjoy your harvest photos!


39 comments:

  1. Beautiful harvest! Love your corn and strawberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and varied harvest you had this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your corn looks so tasty! I just can't wait for ours to be ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's maturing really fast now, Susan. I had to start freezing a few ears today.

      Delete
  4. The harvest looks wonderful. And isn't home grown corn just the best? I wish it were easier to grow here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I wish it would hold longer on the stalk. We wait and wait for an ear or two to mature, then BAM! It all comes on at once! This variety is so slender, it's hard to tell if it's ready or not. I've actually let a couple of ears go a little past prime, so I need to be really diligent.

      Delete
  5. wow great harvest! hard to believe you are almost at 400lbs already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, Mrs. P. I've been eating too much butter on those veggies. LOL!!!

      Delete
    2. LOL! You are so quick witted!

      Delete
  6. I think those slender carrots are very nice looking! Mine look like marbles LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I'm still tossing a few forked hairy ones, but at least a few are straight. They aren't very large, though. Not nice like many I pulled last year. Let's hope the fall carrots are better.

      Delete
  7. Gracious! That's quite the haul! Do tell about your pan roasting beets technique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, nothing fancy. I parboil the beets until they are just tender-crisp, remove the peeling under cold water, chunk them into about 1" pieces, toss them into a frying pan with a bit of oil, put on the lid and cook them, stirring or shaking them up often, until they are tender. Remove the lid, add salt & pepper, cook a bit longer without lid if necessary for caramelization. Love them pan roasted with some chunky parboiled carrots, too. I also like pan roasted potatoes, but I don't precook those. Just leave the lid on until they are tender, then remove and brown them a bit more. Extra good with a bit of rosemary.

      Delete
    2. ok that's dinner! ginger citrus panroasted beets and carrots!

      Delete
    3. David, sounds like a winner to me!

      Delete
  8. What time's dinner?????????
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one of these days we will all surprise you!

      Delete
    2. Donna, I'd probably drop dead of a heart attack....480 guests dropping in unexpectedly for dinner. Sheesh, I don't have enough forks!

      Delete
  9. We've been gone every night for supper and I have missed the fresh veggies. Yours look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Langela, Mr. Granny said he'd be happy to send you his broccoli.

      Delete
    2. Tell him that I'll take it.

      Delete
  10. What an awesome harvest you have had again! Everything looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great harvest as usual. I envy your fresh corn, that is something I would never have the room for.

    Let me know when you get sick of 'Victor', LOL! I seem to have a 'Victor' cross that volunteered. It has the fruit size and production of 'Victo', but it is indeterminate. I'm hoping it has an improved flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, it's awfully good. I'm glad I found room to plant it this year, and will certainly plant it again next year.

      I'll never get sick of Victor. I've been making small batches of tomato sauce with all the tomatoes we can't eat fresh, and Victor is great for that use, as is B. Butcher. I just toss them in the pot, cook until soft, then hit them with my stick blender. A quick turn through the chinois to remove the seeds, back on the stove to thicken...it's done in no time! No peeling, no cutting.

      Delete
  12. Nice variety of harvest! Your corn looks so yummy! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the colors of your tomatoes. You have an amazing tomato crop. I often visit your post about your tomatoes. I have never seen so many plants in one garden. You have inspired me to plant more next year and plant them in the buckets like you did. No need to put them in the beds if you can use that. More room for other stuff. :)

    Beautiful harvest!

    http://www.growitathome.wordpress.com
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joelle, I'm afraid I planted too many small variety tomatoes this year. I'm waiting for some larger ones for canning and salsa. I love the bottomless buckets for planting. The potting mix can get a bit pricey for that many buckets though.

      Delete
  14. You have such a great abundance and variety. Totally jealous of the sweet corn, strawberries, and tomatoes. That is some fine eating there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitsap, we're definitely eating a lot of corn and tomatoes this week. I'm freezing the strawberries, but I'll soon have to give in and make Mr. Granny some shortcake.

      Delete
  15. It's surprising to me that you can get broccoli and tomatoes at the same time. I would think tomatoes require a lot more hot weather than the broc can tolerate.

    Beautiful harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, the main heads have been cut from the broccoli plants, but they continue to give me nice side shoot production. I noticed one plant in particular was absolutely loaded with them this morning, for harvesting later this week! I do have to save them up for a few days to have enough for a meal. It helps that Mr. Granny would just as soon not eat any!

      Delete
  16. You have such great variety and colors! You are definitely eating the rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every thing looks really wonderful! I am going to look for some seed for that black cherry tomato!

    ReplyDelete