February 8, 2014 - More Snow on Seedling Saturday

Otto was not impressed with the latest snowfall.  He didn't even make it off of the patio before he said "to heck with it" and squatted!  Annie came out later, and although she didn't look very happy about all the white stuff, she at least made it out to the yard.  Mr. Granny had taken the leaf blower to yesterday's snow so the dogs would have a clear pathway to potty (that works great!), but we got another couple of inches last night.  More is expected tonight.  I have to wonder how the covered patio on the north side of the house, and the covered porch on the south side of the house both have an equal covering of snow.  Swirling winds?

 I moved the onion seedlings out from under the lights yesterday.  I think it was too warm for them, and they were growing rather fast.  It's about time to give them another "haircut".  The Happy Yummy sweet pepper doesn't seem to mind the cold window, it's getting a lot of new leaves.

 It's much cooler in the plant window, and the African violets will probably appreciate being moved forward a bit, away from the cold glass.

The lettuce is growing well, and the tomatoes are just about ready to move into larger containers.  Parsley has not yet germinated, but the seeds are so old they might not be viable any more.  I moved the two African violet plantlings (plantlets?) under the lights.  They should benefit from the warmth.

12 comments:

  1. February always seems like the longest month to me. There are just enough warmer days to make you think spring is just around the corner, then another snow storm comes and crushes that hope for a little while. Your seedlings are looking good! Your happy yummy pepper seems happy growing inside. I just seeded some onions today. These are old seeds so I am not sure how they will do. I need to get some greens going this weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I'm biting my fingers to keep from planting more seeds! I just keep repeating "Must not plant. Must not plant." :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Tsk, tsk, Cloud. I figured you'd have a greenhouse up and in operation by now.

      Delete
  3. Looking at the footprints, I cant help wondering why should it circle and come back... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you exactly why, Bangchik. The little stinker usually walks down the outside of the patio to the right, then around the corner to do his poop. I think he was trying to get there without going off the patio, but realized he couldn't, so he circled around and pooped on the patio rug! I couldn't scold him though, he's a dachshund, and too low to the ground to plow through the snow!

      Delete
  4. I am also resisting the temptation to sow seeds (mostly). I have a couple of pots of Basil under the lights and a couple of Parsley, and two chillis, but that's it so far. With the exceptional rainfall here in the UK it is completely impossible to sow anything outdoors just yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mark, we got about 4 more inches of snow last night, and temperatures well below freezing, so it will be quite a while before I can even set my seedlings on the patio for fresh air and daylight. I'm still thinking about a pot of basil though.

      Delete
  5. Wow onions growing fast? Mine are always so slow. But at least they are up. Even the ones that had 3 year old seed. I was sure those wouldn't come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I had to trim mine back again yesterday. One container of Walla Wallas is being pokier than the rest, but I used different batch of potting mix for it.

      Delete
  6. Granny, your seedlings look great! I'm planning to start a couple of things next weekend....if I remember to go get some pro-mix on Saturday! The only place I can buy it is only open for a few hours on Saturday during the winter. The partial bag that I do have is buried outside under a 3' frozen block of snow/ice. Everything here is one big frozen block of ice and a little more snow tonight! I'm really looking forward to spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Robin, you Easterners must have done something really bad to p*** off Mother Nature this winter. Enough is enough!

      I think I can buy Pro-mix locally now. We have a new little store that caters to the growers of marijuana, LOL. Actually, it was opened last year for the hydroponic gardeners, but I wandered in there one day and found they sold a really good potting mix as well. I think it was like $40 a bale, but the clerk said it would fill at least 15 five-gallon buckets. I'll definitely check them out this year, as I'm going back to growing the tomatoes in the buckets.

      Delete