It was another good day for gardening. It actually got too warm this afternoon, it was 84F in the shade. I had made a list of chores for today, and I got most of them done.
1. Harvest some kale leaves and pull the last lettuce plant from the kennel garden. Done.
2. Pull all the remaining lettuce from the east garden. Done (and cleaned and refrigerated)
3. Cut the remaining lettuce in the cut-and-come-again barrel. Not done.
4. Make five more seeds mats of carrots (3) and beets (2). Done.
5. Fill three pots with compost and plant pickling cucumbers. Done.
6. Plant a hill of yellow crookneck squash in a compost enriched spot. Done.
7. Start a bucket of compost tea. Done.
8. Plant a row of bush beans in front of peas. Done.
9. Prepare a compost hill and plant zucchini. Not done.
10. Cover the manure pile with a tarp to keep it dry. Done.
This is the bed that was prepped with fresh compost last night, then planted with seed mats. There are three squares of carrots and two squares of beets, with a few onion sets tucked in between the mats. There is room on the other side of this bed for the five carrot and beet mats I made today, but I might wait a week or two before I plant them.
The Fortex pole beans finally woke up and began to grow. In fact, there are several that are beginning to climb up the fencing. Although they aren't visible in this photo, there is a double row of tiny carrot seedlings in front of the beans. This is the second planting of carrots in this bed, the first disappeared just after germinating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this planting will succeed.
Inside the kennel garden it's cool and shady, a nice place to sit and rest my old bones on a hot day. The alyssum are all volunteers from last year.
In the corner are kale, which got its outer leaves harvested right after this photo was taken, and one lone lettuce that was also harvested. There are morning glories all along the fence on the right and in the back. The front is bordered with blue lobelia (grown from seed), and nasturtiums and a couple of volunteer forget-me-nots are beginning to finally show some growth.
The strawberries, which were thinned out and replanted, are finally looking pretty good. They have quite a few blossoms, and a ripening berry or two. With this variety, I don't expect much of a harvest until July.
The newly planted rhubarb just languished for a few weeks, but recently put on a real growth spurt. I may even get a small harvest from it this year.
The rhubarb and strawberries are going to need all the room they can get in this garden, so I decided it's not the best place to have full of volunteer California poppies. The pots must be moved immediately!
I moved the basil pot (center) forward a few inches, then snuggled the two poppy pots on each side. Perfect.
I might get a lemon from Leona! She's had nubbins before, but they've all dropped off while still tiny. This one (lower right, just behind the new blossoms) has grown as big as the end of my thumb, and is hanging on tight. Fingers are crossed that it will mature.
This makes me so sad.....
Last year I planted this strip in my neighbor Pat's yard. I planted tomatoes, beans, squash and cucumbers for her.
I took this picture of last year's garden while standing in her yard. Look at how neat her side of the fence is. Stan and Pat always kept their place up so nice. After Stan died, Pat hired someone to keep up her large yard, and it was always neat and so pretty. Last winter Pat had to go into a retirement facility, so she sold her house.