March 24, 2012 - Spring Has Sprung

After our surprise snow on Thursday, the sun was soon out and its warmth not only melted the snow, but also warmed the gardener. I went out and prepped the first three feet of the 1'x10' strip of soil for the carrot bed. I hauled a couple of buckets of compost over, spread it on the bed, and then worked it deep into the soil with the spading fork. The bed had previously been dug to a depth of about a foot, so the soil was nice and loose. There were still some small roots to be removed, so I sifted through the entire section with my fingers, making sure there were no obstructions for this, one of my most precious crops. With all lumps, clumps and roots removed, I leveled and smoothed it with the rake, laid down three premade seed mats, and covered them with a mixture of soil and vermiculite. The ground was very damp from the melted snow and rain, so I didn't have to water the seeds in, just tamped everything down with the rake. I couldn't find my boards that I normally use to cover the carrots, so I grabbed a piece of floating row cover and folded it to size. I placed it over the seed bed and then placed some folded wire fencing flat over the top to hold the fabric down. The plan was to replace it with boards the next day.


The radishes that were planted on 3/9 were all up, so I planted two more short rows in one of the triangle gardens.

After attacking a few small weeds and grass clumps with the hoe, I raked the pathways again and got all the piles of garden debris picked up and disposed of...green stuff into the compost, and sticks and roots into the trash. I wonder if I'll ever get all those small roots raked out.

It warmed up enough to get out in the garden again yesterday. First I put the tomato plants (the big ones, not the seedlings) on the front porch for a bit of sunshine, and set the flat of brassicas and lettuces out in the yard for the same. Then I headed for the garden and prepped another 3'x1' strip for three more carrot mats. I don't know where Mel Bartholemew gets that 16 carrots per square foot. I put mine on 2" centers, hex pattern, and get 54 in a square foot. I've never had carrots grow much bigger than 1" across the top (I pull them young, and begin by pulling every other one), so I find the 2" spacing works fine. That makes 324 carrot seeds planted so far this week, with another 162 to go. That should be enough to take care of MY needs, now I have to plant some for the kids! I found my carrot boards, and covered this newly planted area. I decided to leave the folded row cover on the other section to compare germination speed...it was nice and warm under the row cover, and it will be cold under the boards. Of course, I might end up with cooked carrot seedlings! (*note: today the soil was really dry under the row cover. I'll have to find more boards.)


Next I planted the turnips. I don't care much for them, and nobody else will eat them, so I only planted a short double row. I decided they could go on the outside at the end of the 4' raised bed, where I had removed the other 4'x4' section. I had to dig down a foot and remove more roots, then I put in a lot of compost and worked it in well and made a lovely soft seedbed.

My next job was to attach string to some folding fences and slant it up to tie onto the kennel garden chain link for pea supports. I did that for the sugar snaps and for both sweet pea beds...it was so warm in the afternoon sun, it made the job quite enjoyable. I had time to clean out around a few strawberry plants, and it was time to go in and cook dinner. I made sure the seedlings were all safely inside, but made one last trip to set in a few Johnny Jump Ups near the lettuce garden. These were some little seedlings that didn't get potted up to larger containers. I mean, those seeds were so tiny that I way overseeded the flat, so I ended up with way more plants than I needed. I decided the area by the lettuce could use a bit of color.

Today the plan is to attack and dismantle the two half-barrel planters out by the back fence. They are rotting, the strawberries didn't do well in them last year, and I want the fence for my Fortex pole beans this year. I also would like to start removing all the plants from the strawberry bed, as it really needs to be renewed this year. That means at least 2-3" of composted manure will have to be added and dug in, and I'll have to either round up some plants from other areas in the garden or go buy some new ones. I'm tempted to do the latter, as I think I'd like to try a new variety. Maybe I'll check and see what is available locally in bare root plants. I'd still keep some of these day neutral plants elsewhere in the garden, but maybe I'd be happier with a June bearing variety so I can freeze and make jam all at one time, rather than having to save up the berries until I get enough to do something with them.


Later today...................never being one to stick to my plans, I decided to work in and around the kennel garden.


I began by double digging a 2' wide future planting bed along the inside (left) of the kennel garden. I carried in six buckets of compost for this bed, as I've decided this will be where the broccoli and Brussels sprouts will be planted. It should get some sun once the snap peas are harvested, and if the sprouts get too tall they can be tied up to the chain link.


I hauled in a couple more buckets of compost, and dug a small border around the columbine, and a dozen little Johnny Jump Ups were transplanted. They're small, but they've been living outside for over a week, so I think they can handle it. If not, I have a bunch more that can replace them.


Another border was dug and amended with lots of compost, and five young strawberry plants were moved in from the strawberry bed. They can send out runners to their little hearts' content here. A container of onions was set into the bed behind the wood border. These were small leftovers from the bunches of Walla Walla sweets. Of course, I couldn't dispose of them, so they will be grown as scallions. Grandpa Ott morning glories will finish off this corner eventually, and cover two sides of the kennel.


Next to the snap peas, another bed was dug and amended with compost. Five more young strawberry plants were moved here from the old bed. You can see how I strung lines for the snap peas to climb. This was done for both of the sweet pea beds as well, only the sweet peas got 6' high strings....I hope they get that tall!


The kennel garden is all ready for final planting, as soon as the weather cooperates and the seedlings are large enough.


Elsewhere in the garden...................


The lilies are up!


And a small harvest...................


Some beautiful chives.

29 comments:

  1. Wow! You got a lot accomplshed today. Everything is looking good. It's still pouring rain here, I'm hoping it will make the rest of the peas sprout. I did notice that my sweet peas have sprouted. I haven't found any volunteer Grandpa Ott's yet, I might actually have to plant some this year, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No peas here yet, Ed. I'm all ready for them....bring 'em on!

      Delete
  2. Love those fresh chives. Mine should still be "frozen", but Ma Nature has been weird to us and they're all ready for their first haircut.

    Busy busy!
    Have fun!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, it's too bad we can't live on chives, 'cause I sure do have a lot of them! I need to get out there and divide some and clean up the chive bed, plant some in with the flowers, where I can just let them blossom.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Not only gorgeous, Dorothy....delicious! This week I've had them on Chinese Pork & Noodles, in salads, on baked potatoes and tonight I'm putting some in my deviled eggs.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Maybe not so exciting, Mrs. P., but sure is tiring on my old body!

      Delete
  5. You're like an energizer bunny - just keeps going and going.. for your kennel garden - do your dogs bother plants or dig them up?? One thing I noticed with my neighbors that have dogs - they dig up their yards like crazy. Just currious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, neither of the dogs dig in the garden (or yard). My problem with them is when they see a bed, they sleep on it! It can be a bed in the garden, or a bed in the house, they're not particular. That's why they are fenced out. Later, when everything is grown, they can come into the garden with me, but as long as there are seeds and seedlings, no way!

      Delete
  6. your improvements are great. We've had cold days too until yesterday and especially today. We got out today and cleared our 2nd bed of three, weeded, got rid of old branches from last year's beans, got some rocks out, met some worms, and generally prepped. I did two or three soil ph tests which I've never done before. We had mixed ph levels in one bed so unsure how to amend. one was in the 7-7.5 range and one was more like 6.5 . I read the peas like 6.5 so might plant in that area but might plant in the higher number area. We'll be adding compost to all and I always wet and dust the pea seeds with innoculant,and put in some bone meal. Stay tuned. Tomorrow if it's not too cold and rainy we'll compost that bed and put in some peas. (I think)
    I also have to dig out tons of bad bad deep roots from our third bed and do some soil testing since it's not been used in two years. I typically just add compost and things do welll but I'm aiming for the best soil I can come up with (on limited funds).yawwwwwwwwn. high five for all of our work. See you tomorrow night here? lol
    And btw I got your card with reimbursement...unnecessary, but thanks! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy T., you've really been busy! LOL, do you know that in over 50 years of gardening, I've never done a soil test? I just plant, and it usually grows ;-) My best gardens were when I had lots of chopped leaves and manure to amend the beds in the fall. Since I'll be home for the winter, I should have the leaves again...the neighbor has lots of trees, but the leaves always fell after we left for AZ. I think my son had access to horse manure, so I might just be in luck!

      Hey, the thanks goes to you! I was so happy to receive those Fortex seeds, and I'll be careful not to let them cross this time! I already have the second of four beds dug for them, but it will be another month until I can put in the first planting. Hopefully we'll never have to buy more, I'm isolating the seed beans away from the garden, next to the house. I can control the amount of water they get there, so they can dry properly.

      Delete
  7. My goal is some day to have everything as prepped as you do. I'm still really seat of the pants here, alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefaneener, someday your children will all be grown and gone, and there will just be two of you, retired old people, and you'll have all the time in the world to prep your garden! I flew by the seat of my pants for many years. My best gardens just happen when I don't over think the process.

      Delete
  8. Gosh Granny! I thought I had my hands full with my garden!! :-) Now I feel bad that I took the last two days off from my garden. I've found muscles that I had forgotten I had...ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family Circus, I found those muscles, too! It has become routine here....2 Tylenol, hot bath, bed.

      Delete
  9. You have been busy. I should sift my carrot soil. There are rocks in there, but I just can't be bothered. My soil is so sandy that carrots just do well. When I had clay soil I had to sift. It worked well then. I'm just praying my carrots come up. I find them finicky germinators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I have sandy soil, too. If it weren't for all those roots that the tiller broke up, I wouldn't have to worry about sifting the soil for the carrots....by sifting, I mean rake and fingers, not hardware cloth or any other contraptions.

      Delete
  10. Wow! I have missed a lot. You're going in ground again instead of all in beds. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ribbit, how long has it been? I tore out the raised beds from the east garden last spring! As the wood rots, the raised beds are outta here.

      Delete
  11. You will have the whole garden planted up by April 6th at this pace! :D Your energy and eye for how it should go to make best use of your space - is always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kitsap. I don't know...I'm already changing my mind. I think the proposed broccoli bed might make a better lettuce bed, then I could move my lettuce box from behind the shed which would make it possible to get the garden cart, wheelbarrow, etc. out the back door of the shed. Right now the lettuce box restricts the use of the door for larger items. I'm thinkin' on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looking good granny!

    tomorrow night it's supposed to go down to 32 degrees. do you think i should cover my pea seedlings or will they be ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, 32F won't bother those peas. They can take it! I don't worry about any of the early stuff until it drops to 28 or lower.

      Delete
    2. that's what i figured but i love my peas so much that i dreamt about them last night! ha! thanks granny!=)

      Delete
  14. I have never had any luck with carrots in my gardens. Sounds like you have a system for them, got any tips I could use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrot Seed Mats. Use cheap napkins or toilet tissue...do the strength test, you want them to disintegrate easily when wet! Use Elmer's school glue (it's non toxic), and glue the seeds 2" apart in all directions. Hang them over a hanger to dry and follow the instructions in the tutorial for planting in well prepared soil (no fresh manure, it causes forking and loosen the bed to a depth of about 12" for long carrots). Water them in with a fine mist and cover with boards (retains the moisture in the soil for germination). After about 4-5 days, start checking under the boards daily. As soon as you see any little green carrot tops poking through, get the boards off immediately.

      Delete
  15. Things are looking good! I'm the opposite here, we don't really eat radishes, so this year I did turnips instead LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sure have been busy! I like the turnips but I think it is the greens more than the root that I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete