March 8, 2012 - Thank You, Mother Nature

She was nicer to me than I expected on Tuesday. It was supposed to be cold and windy, in the low forties, but it turned out sunny and calm and perfect weather for the new garden project. I donned my coat and gloves, but the coat soon ended up over a fence post, rather than on the gardener.

It took most of the morning to get 40' of the fencing installed, and 24' of the welded wire dog barrier put on the bottom of it.

The afternoon was spent raking smooth the first 12' x 36' section of new garden and staking off the first four beds. I marked 20" pathways, which will be wide enough for my rake, and tromped down the loose soil on the walkways. The first four beds were marked off, visible small bits of root removed, and each was leveled and smoothed out with a rake. It was quite an easy job in that soft soil.

I tore down one of the three old half barrels that was rotting out, hauled that out of the garden, then raked the soil from it into a bed by the back fence for pole beans. The other two barrels will also be removed, and the Fortex beans will be planted in all three new beds next to the fence. Amy T., from Issaquah, WA, is sending me some fresh Fortex seeds! I had asked her to watch the seed racks in the Seattle area to see if she could find me a packet, as the seeds I had saved in 2010 turned out to have crossed with my nearby Kentucky Blue pole beans. I really wanted a new supply to grow for seed saving this year, but I was hesitant to pay about $14 for a few seeds and the shipping charges. This year, Fortex will be the only pole bean I'll grow, so unless my neighbors grow beans on the other side of my fence, the resulting seeds should be true Fortex!

I raked up and hauled out the pile of sod and roots that were in the middle of the garden. The largest roots of all were there, and impossible to remove, so I will move the bottom half of the old compost bin to set over the top and plant the butternut squash in it. The vines should grow down to cover its ugliness, so I think it will work out OK.


The new area of garden is beginning to take shape. The old fence line was right up against the raised beds in the background, so I gained about 12' of extra planting width. The triangle beds were necessary, due to the TV/phone/internet cable that is buried just beneath the surface. It will make an interesting visual arrangement! I have to make the best use of some odd spaces, so the top half of the old compost barrel, in the background, will hold a hill of cantaloupe.


I reused the plastic mesh fencing that I had installed last year. I really like this stuff, it stretches tight, never sags or bends, and is practically invisible, allowing a good view of the garden. The welded wire fencing was also repurposed from the old east garden. I cut the 2' high fencing down to 1', and used cable ties to fasten it to the bottoms of the fence posts. That keeps my nosy garden dog Annie from pushing under the flexible plastic fencing.


My preliminary garden plan for the first four new beds. After I went through all the work of planning this, I discovered I'd made the triangle beds a foot deeper than they really are. That means a do-over, but it will still be similar to this original plan......or maybe I'll just plant everything a tiny bit closer together.


I still have all this mess in the old east garden! My son-in-law is supposed to come over today or tomorrow to load the sod and take it to a new home they are sodding in their mobile home park. I have no idea what we'll do to get rid of the pile of roots, as they are too water logged to burn and too large to put in the garbage can for pickup.


Once the mess is cleared, this area will have to be refenced (red lines). It's too bad we dug out the posts last weekend, but the original plan was to sod this entire area. Now I've talked Mr. Granny into letting me keep most of it in garden, minus the area around the lilac tree (a source of multiple suckers, which cause me so much extra work to control). I want to set the corner posts in concrete, as I'm having trouble keeping the T-posts straight in this soft soil. This area will be perfect for planting corn, potatoes and onions.....the garden space hogs. There is still a long section of welded wire fencing, waiting to be cut for the final installation.


While I'm waiting for it to warm up enough to get outside and start working, I'm going to have my morning coffee with my nose buried in these lovelies, the first sign of spring at Granny's house.


18 comments:

  1. very nice! love the new layout and how it's going to be intertwined with flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I love the flowers in the garden. The Sweet Williams, Shasta daisies, yellow lilies and hollyhocks (that show in my header at the top of this blog) will still be in the background, against the fence, as well as purple morning glories that will be planted along one side to grow across, and cascade over, the fence to the left.

      Delete
  2. That is just fantastic ! I am going to watch your progress with a lot of anticipation.

    Question. How do you finagle a gate to keep Annie out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, the back door in the shed leads out to the garden on one side. The plastic mesh fencing will attach to the neighbor's chain link fence with S-hooks, which can be unhooked to open up the entire south end (the bottom red line in the fence-to-be photo). I'll just use folding wire fencing along the bottom, so it can be easily removed/replaced, to keep her from going under. That will be the only place big enough to get a garden cart into the garden. I built the lettuce bed, behind the shed, too close to the door to get anything larger than a wheelbarrow through that way :-(

      Delete
  3. The new layout looks great and I love the triangles! I wish I could have my garden away from our fence but the boys seem to think they need a yard to play in...Silly boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, it took me a long time to get this garden expansion. Silly Mr. Granny seemed to think he needed more grass to mow!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Your new garden space is really coming on. Gosh, you make me tired sometimes, just reading about how much you accomplish! I'm really looking forward to seeing it all finished, and seeing what you grow in it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, it's kind of getting finished backwards! The space that isn't ready is the space I need to plant first :-(

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Mrs. P., did you notice I hid the lettuce bed? LOL! It will be behind the shed, just like last year.

      Delete
  6. I think it all looks fantastic! That's a lot of work, love the layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. That layout looks as though it will stay pretty close to plans, but the boxes are another problem...can't make up my mind what to put in them!

      Delete
  7. Wow! You had a productive day. I love the new layout. It looks like the beginnings of a potager. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I almost sent the garden dimensions to you with a "PLEASE" plan this for me"! It's not easy to plan it out, taking into consideration heights and colors. A plain old veggie garden would be easier, but not as pretty.

      Delete
  8. You got it looking good Granny, I hope the weather cooperates for me this weekend. I like how you did your fencing, that is exactly what I do to make my trellis for my peas. I stake two of those green posts at opposite ends of the bed and use that plastic mesh tied with electrical ties. Like you said it works great, and what I like about it is I can just pull up the posts and roll them together with the mesh still attached. Makes setup the following year super easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I love that mesh fencing, I use it in place of bird netting, which I hate! I always got tangled up in bird netting, and the wind would blow it away. The plastic is so much easier to use, and lasts year after year. And it's cheap!

      Delete
  9. Wow Granny, You're making some huge changes this year! If it were me I'd be hitting the ibuprofen pretty hard! I look forward to watching your new garden grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody, I have a nightly Tylenol cocktail with my hot soak in the tub. So far, so good ;-)

      Delete