March 9, 2012 - Planting the Garden, Day One

Both triangle beds were amended with compost, which was scratched into the top few inches and then leveled. Then the first seeds of the 2012 garden season were planted. Just a few radishes, along the edge of triangle bed #2, that will be pulled long before the space is needed for summer squash. Hopefully I'll find a spot to put in a short row or two every couple of weeks for a continuous supply this spring. The remaining garlic was moved from the east garden, and a dozen plants filled the allotted spaces perfectly. The soil isn't as dry as it looks, it was nice and damp an inch or two below the surface. I did, however, carry out several 2 gallon watering cans to give the seeds and transplants a drink. I'll have to hook a hose up to the house water soon, as our irrigation water won't be turned on for at least another month.


The garlic I moved earlier in the week seems to be surviving just fine.


It was actually 69F in the shade today (32F when I got up this morning), so I treated the seedlings and the tomato plants to a day on the front porch. I forgot the onions in the laundry room window. They need to start going outside to harden off, as it will soon be time to plant them.


10 comments:

  1. I am no where near ready for outdoor planting. I am hoping though to get an area prepared this weekend to plant my peas. I'm not a radish fan but, may put in a few as well. Your tomato plants look great,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I've never had any luck with radishes up here, yet grew great ones in my AZ winter garden. Go figure. I don't devote a lot of space to them, mainly just outline planting spaces for other plants, or tuck them into any tiny spot that's available. Mr. Granny loves them in his salads, my youngest son likes them, I'm not crazy about them myself.

      The tomato plants look good because they're from "friendship seeds". That means most of my garden should look great this year :-)

      Delete
  2. I like your use of string to plot out the space.
    Seeds in the ground! Great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardener, it's a good way to use up old skeins of no longer needed yarn. My son gave me a bunch of 12" metal spikes, which work great. I wish I had more of them!

      Delete
  3. wow outdoor planting already!! We still have 3 feet of snow covering the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. P., it was 19F three nights ago, 49F last night. It's been 45-55F during the day, but got up to 70F yesterday! I don't expect the warm weather to last, we can still get freezes for another month and a half. I can, however, get many of the cool weather crops, like onions and potatoes, planted this week. If I get the beds ready for them :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow I can't believe it is already planting time. I know it is time, but it just doesn't seem like it yet. I feel like I just finished putting away last year's garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just the opposite, Vanessa. It seems like I should be out planting right now, and it's still really too early. I always jump the gun, even knowing later planted seeds will not only catch up with, but surpass the earlier ones in growth. I never learn ;-)

      Delete
  5. As usual, I'm behind again.. and I swore I was gonna keep up with you this year! :P

    All I've started so far is lettuce and some chinese cabbage. Peas are on the agenda for planting on either Wed. or Thurs. once the rain is done. We have a lovely next '10 days' as per the weatherman so I'm hoping to get a LOT done out there!! We've been pricing out the cost of metal fencing to put around the garden.. not cheap! So I'm on the prowl for pallets again... and re-bar.. I really really wish I could just find a big ol' pile of re-bar.. that would totally make my day! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I finally have all the big roots and sod removed from the east garden, so bed prep can start just as soon as my body will move again ;-) I bought my sweet onions and seed potatoes yesterday, so I need to get busy! I wanted chain link fence around the garden, but Mr. Granny balked and won.

      Delete