I gave up on trying to get anything on my chore list done today. The sun did peek out from behind the rain clouds a few times, so I carried all of my remaining seedlings out to the kennel garden and put them on the bench where they can fend for themselves until someone picks them up (I'm talking to you, son-in-law Bryan). Then I took the little hand cultivator and dug up the area in the former strawberry bed where a row of spinach had sprouted and disappeared. Just like the other side of the bed, where I replanted the spinach, I saw nothing that would explain why the seedlings disappeared. No cut worms, no wire worms. I did see one small centipede and one pill bug. Yes, they could eat the tiny seedlings, but I'd expect to see them in greater numbers. I ended up planting a row of parsnips there. The seeds were from the same packet I tried to start in soil blocks in February, and had only one of 18 germinate. I also tried the damp paper towel pre-sprouting method with 0% germination. Needless to say, if anything grows in the row I planted today I will be very surprised.
That ended my time in the yard and garden for the day, but I felt the need to get something done, so I baked. It made Mr. Granny a very happy man.