January 8, 2010: Garden Plans: In the Beginning; The Main Garden

Here is the completed plan for the main garden....east north and kennel gardens all connected. Click on the photo to enlarge.




2010 main garden. One square = one foot.

I've already changed my mind about the "zucchini tower" in the north garden. I've decided the small west garden (not shown)would be a perfect spot for two zucchini plants. It's in an area that isn't drenched by the lawn sprinklers, right next to a faucet where drip tubing can be attached. Maybe I can finally grow zucchini that isn't plagued with powdery mildew.

I still have the 12'x12' area behind the garden shed. I think I'll reserve that for leftover tomato plants...knowing me, I'll have more than a few of those! Tomatoes (in buckets) will also be placed around the main garden, and secured to the fence posts, as well as next to the garden shed and the patio. I'll probably have about 10 tomato plants in buckets, plus the four indeterminates in the north garden and the cherry tomato next to the kennel garden. Fifteen plants sounds like a reasonable number.

9 comments:

  1. Fifteen tomato plants? Hmm won't you still have way too many tomatoes? How many did you have last year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne, it's hard to say exactly, because I tossed some plants that had tomatoes I didn't care for, and I lost a few to blight. I started with about 28, I think. I ended up, at the end of the season, with around 18-20. But I did get some tomatoes from the bad/sick ones before I did away with them. Six that I'm growing this year are cherry toms (3 varieties), four are indeterminate large slicers, and five or so will be determinates, in buckets, to set around the garden wherever space is available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still looks like a wonderful plan. You really get the most out of your space. I'm trying to limit tomatoes to a sane amount. For me, that means more paste tomatoes and many fewer cherry and fresh ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its always nice to grow plants in abundance... for bountiful harvest even if it is more what we can consumed... But neighbours are than ready to accept a few.. haha.

    ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stefaneener, I would try to limit the tomatoes, but I know me ;-) Dan is sending me two varieties of cherry toms, and Kelly sent one, so I MUST try all three. I wasn't happy with the bland ones I grew last year, so I'm extra hungry for some sweet ones this year. Extras can be tossed in a pot for sauce. Just the opposite of you!

    ********
    Bangchik, I shared so much with friends and family last year, they began to shun me! I did enjoy giving boxes of extra produce to the needy, though. I'm sure they enjoyed getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! 15 tomatoes?! I would be willing to bet that you end up with more than that in the end. I just don't think you can say "no" to a tomato plant! Even if you wanted to. ;)

    Plans look awesome. Cannot wait to watch your garden grow this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kitsap, I'm getting quite the reputation as the gal who can't say "no"! But that's with any transplant I manage to start from seed. I had too many pepper plants last year, too. I just didn't expect every seed to germinate, so I planted 4-6 of each variety. Then I couldn't bear to part with them. I suppose I'll do the same this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AG, we had 16 tomato plants last year and I said I would not do that again. Here I am with 4 packages of seeds and thinking about a couple more varieties. Somebody stop me now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Di, I think we need an intervention ;-) But....too many is better than not enough. Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete