July 2, 2012 - Tomato, Onions and Killer Coffee Ice Cream

My first "full sized red" tomato.  At 1.2 ounces this Bloody Butcher is smaller than last year's 2 ounce tomato of the same variety, but I'll take it.  I'm getting really tired of tiny yellow tomatoes! 

I pulled the last of the Walla Walla sweet onions today.  Most of these are quite a bit larger than the earlier harvested bunch, as you can tell by the sagging fence.  I'm anxious to get them dried, and see if I meet or beat last years 20 ounce onion.

I had a $2 off coupon for a half gallon of International Delight Iced Coffee, so I bought one.  I didn't much care for it over ice.  I drink my morning coffee with half milk, half coffee and some sweetener, so I found this to be too strong and not quite sweet enough for my liking.  I certainly didn't want to waste it, so I decided to make ice cream.  Let me tell you, it is delicious!!!  I ate a bowl of it this afternoon, then I had seconds, then I decided to blog about it and needed a picture, so of course I had to have thirds!  Don't tell anyone, hokay?

Chocolate Ripple Coffee Ice Cream

1/2 (scant) cup sugar
4 egg yolks  
2 cups International Delight Iced Coffee, vanilla flavor 
1  cup chilled heavy whipping cream  
1 teaspoon vanilla 
chocolate ice cream topping

*Note:  You can go through the whole tempering the egg yolks and straining the custard stuff, but I just put everything in the blender and then cook it.  Makes great ice cream without all the fuss.  I had to guess at the amount of sugar, as the iced coffee is already sweetened.  I found a scant 1/2 cup to be just about perfect, but 1/4-1/3 cup might be more to your liking if you don't like super sweet ice cream.

Combine sugar, egg yolks and iced coffee in blender.  Blend on low until very well mixed.  Pour mixture into a medium sized saucepan (it will bubble up pretty high) and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir for a minute or so.  Remove from heat and cut a piece of waxed or parchment paper to fit over the top to prevent a skin from forming.  Let cool slightly, then refrigerate overnight.

The next day, stir in the chilled whipping cream and vanilla.  Pour mixture into ice cream machine and  follow the directions for whichever brand ice cream maker you have. 

When the ice cream has frozen, transfer 1/3 of it to a freezer-safe airtight container and drizzle it with some of the chocolate topping (thanks to Delightful Repast for this idea!).  Layer another 1/3 of the ice cream, and drizzle with more topping.  Finish with a third layer of ice cream.  Cover the container and  place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours.  YUM!



21 comments:

  1. Got to love that first red tomato of the year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stoney Acres, it will probably be mealy and nasty, but it's a promise of things to come :-)

      Delete
  2. Some of those onions look huge. Good luck on the weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I think I might have to bring in the biggest one and weigh it. I'm curious, and hungry for some giant onion rings :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm going to start drooling over your onions now ;) we also picked first tomato - San Marzano was first interestingly enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, Mr. Granny ate the tomato tonight, and said it tasted like a tomato. I usually expect the first one or two to be rather mealy and tasteless, but this one was nice and juicy.

      Delete
  4. Hi Annie, Three cheers for the tomato!!! That ice cream sure looks delicious! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Nartaya, I'd never eaten it before, and I'm not that crazy about coffee, but now I'm a big fan of coffee ice cream. I'll be buying more whipping cream so I can make a couple more batches for the freezer. I have a feeling it will be a big hit at our 4th. of July family get together!

      Delete
  6. I am just starting my adventure in ice cream making. I may have to try your method. That sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Langela, if there's an easy way, I'll take it :-)

      Delete
  7. I think I probably like my coffee stronger, but your ice cream sounds wonderful. I was just telling a kid the other day that we needed to make some ice cream. . . And the onions are just tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Stefaneener, now you need to go look at my third post for the day...big onion!

      Delete
  8. You're killing me with the ice cream! and first tomato is really bright red and luscious looking. The onions....look like you've got your laundry out to dry. Love the photo. It'd make a cool card image or something. Will u adopt us for the 4th of July?! That celebration sounds incredible with all the good yummies , fireworks down the road and you! (oh wait didn't I say I just joined weight watchers....ok, i'm staying AWAY! Too much goodness at YOUR house!) mm mmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy T., I swear, I did NOT eat a fourth bowl of it yesterday!

      If this wind doesn't stop, the fireworks will be cancelled :-( I can remember one year that happened, and they had them the next night. Of course, our dinner couldn't wait, so we ate it on the 4th, then everyone came just for fireworks on the 5th.

      Delete
  9. congrats of the first tomato!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa. It was small, but no squirrel bites ;-)

      Delete
  10. I think I am going to try your ice cream - My hubby loves coffee ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet he loves it, Christy. It was difficult not to eat a fourth bowl of it last night!

      Delete
  11. your onions are amazing looking! Mine are laughable compared to that :)

    ReplyDelete