September 28, 2008: Chili Sauce



An entire afternoon of simmering, and last weeks tomatoes are now ten half-pints of Chili Sauce. That will be enough to make the Swiss Steak that we like, an old recipe from Farm Journal's Country Cookbook (1959/1972), throughout the winter.

Swiss Steak
Serves 6 (or more)

6 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 pounds round steak, cut 1-inch thick
4 medium onions
6 Tbsp. shortening (I substitute Canola oil and use a bit less)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup chili sauce (I will use 1/2 pint)
3/4 cup water
1 green pepper (optional)

Combine flour, salt and pepper; rub into both sides of steak, or pound in with meat mallet or edge of heavy plate. Cut into 6 portions.

Peel and slice onions. Preheat skillet and add half of the shortening (oil), then onions. Brown lightly. Remove from skillet.

Add remaining shortening (oil). Brown steak on both sides. Reduce heat. Add celery, garlic, chili sauce and water. Cover and simmer one hour. (I check, turn meat and stir sauce occasionally).

Cut green pepper into slices. Add pepper and onions to meat. Continue cooking 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.

5 comments:

  1. Hey granny - good job on the chili sauce! You do such a good job at everything. Just look at that photo! It was put together beautifully, with the added flowers, and the book. I've never heard of that sauce, but I bet it's good! I'm so tired....I made a total of 17 twelve oz jars of pear preserves (by myself), 2 earthtainers, and the seed starter this weekend. I'll put photos of everything in the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, EG. If you look in your grocery store, near the ketchup, you should see Heinz Chili Sauce. It just tastes like a sweet ketchup. The only thing I ever use it in is that Swiss Steak recipe, but I'm sure it could be turned into a decent barbecue sauce. I have NO IDEA why they call it "chili sauce", as there are no chilies in it at all.

    My, you have been working hard! I've been having computer problems today, my cable modem has decided not to "speak" to my router. I've unplugged and re-plugged everything, still a no go. I think I'm going to have to reinstall the router. Even the layout on my blog has changed and wouldn't display correctly today. I ended up changing it, but I liked my old template :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job! I've never tried making condiments before, so I'm impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt I'll get enough tomatoes this late to make my own ketchup, but next year.....

    I am going to make the hot pepper jelly, as I have a lot of green bell peppers that will never turn red.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie's Granny,
    I really enjoy your blog and wanted you to know just how much I do so I left you an award at my site. You are welcome to pass it along if you want to but it is just fine if you don't. I really do love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete