Yesterday it was cold, windy and occasionally rainy, so I stayed inside and built my first SWC from two 5-gallon buckets. It was pretty easy, but I only had two sizes of hole saw...too large and too small. Since my jigsaw is 1200 miles away in AZ, I ended up with a rather raggedy hole for the water wicking chamber, because I had to use a hack saw and tin snips! Oh wells, it doesn't show so not to worry. The fill tube hole was a bit large, but several big rubber bands made a good seal, so that worked out well also. I still have to cut the lid (if I decide to use one), and buy some more potting mix before I can plant anything in it. But that's one down and four to go!
I potted up the two largest peppers (AZ seedlings) into large pots, which will be their permanent homes. Warm weather is predicted for the weekend, so maybe I can get these AZ plants hardened off and put outside for good. I'm completely out of space in the plant window.
The pickup bed seems to be working well for hardening off all the other plants. They aren't gaining much in height, but seem to be getting stockier. They have survived cold, wind and a hard rain, and today hot sun, so they should be very well hardened! In fact, today I pulled the pickup out where the plants would get full sun all day...a bit too much, I'm afraid (I baked a container of marigolds). Tomorrow I'll go back to parking where they get three hours of sun and the rest of the day in filtered shade.
Today was lovely, so I accomplished a bit more.
I potted 2 Black Cherry tomatoes (3/12) into 16-oz. cups. These were replacements for two earlier non-germinating ones.
One of the three Purple Beauty peppers (4/1) germinated today.
Glorious Gleam Nasturtiums (3/28) had very poor germination. Only three of 18 planted in soil blocks and placed on a heat mat in the greenhouse grew; they have been hardening off all week, so I planted them with the blueberries today.
The weatherman says our temps are going to reach near 80F by this weekend, so I planted four squares (45 seeds) each of Royal Burgundy and Contender bush beans in east bed #3. Parsnips in that bed are beginning to germinate. The soil was very warm to the touch, even several inches under the surface.
There is a plant growing where I planted borage (4/3). I'm not familiar with this plant, but considering where it has sprouted, I think that is what it is.
Two of the buttercrunch lettuces in the dog kennel succumbed to cutworm, so I replanted (seeds) today. Cutworm also annihilated about 3-4 pea vines. I put cutworm collars around all the brassicas.
Our irrigation water is on again, so I gave the entire garden a good sprinkling. It's surprising how dry it was, after all the rain we got this week. However, the raised beds do dry quickly, and we've had a lot of wind.
Tonight I planted 3 blue morning glory and 3 sunflowers in soil blocks and placed them in a clear plastic domed box to germinate.
Last of all, I started a new compost pile with chopped leaves, grass clippings, coffee grounds, crushed egg shells and chopped vegetable waste from the kitchen. I wet everything down well, then tossed on a couple of shovels of composted cow manure. I have decided nothing will go unchopped in this pile, since last year's compost was a real failure.
I'm tired now...good night to all.