February 16, 2011 - And Then We Got The Phone Call

Three days ago we were in Arizona. Today I got a phone call from our realtor, that we had a firm offer on our AZ property. Why, why, why didn't this happen last week? Now we'll be making another trip to move everything out! We do have until April 4th., if the sale goes through. Daughter Amy and her husband will go down with us to load/clean, and son Scott will come here to stay with the dogs and rabbit, so we won't have to deal with them. But....HURRAY!!! It looks like we'll be spending all of our time in Washington now!

It's been a busy, busy day. Besides driving over to Amy's (about 18 miles) to fax all the paperwork to AZ, I had to deal with the remaining 12 butternut squashes. I dragged the roaster oven out of the garage, and baked six of them at a time. The first half is finished, with 6 1/2 pounds of puree in the freezer, and the second six are baking now.


A roaster oven full of butternuts.

I'm so proud of myself! Last year son John put a grounded cord on a 2' double shop light, so I could use it in the laundry room plant window. It just bugged me that he used a bright orange cord! Yesterday I bought a white extension cord, with a grounded plug. I cut off the end, and removed the orange cord and rewired the fixture with the white cord. I plugged it in and.....


I have light!

I was going to use the light for the lemon tree, but.....


She was too tall. I had to remove both upper shelves. I hope she gets enough light from this north facing window, at least until the weather warms enough to set her outside during the day.


She is getting more blossoms! Oh, just look to the left and you can see that she has set some lemons. There are seven little green nubs all together!


More baby lemons, and more new blossoms forming. I'm so proud of her, she's not even a year old!


20 comments:

  1. Ah now, Granny... You should have warned us this was going to be a good news/bad news post.

    Good news - no GREAT news - you will hopefully be selling the AZ home. The bad news - Granny is going back to AZ.

    Truly, so nice of the kids to all join together to help you and Mr Granny. I hope everything goes smoothly. And, on the upside - after the sale, we don't have to worry about Granny 'garden commuting.'

    Congratulations!

    Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horaay!!! That's the way things go..if you would have stayed it wouldn't have sold!!

    I am so happy for you! Oh and Leona is finally going to give you some lemons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Farmer, it will be about a five day trip, so I won't lose much gardening time! And on the good side, I won't lose my good internet connection again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations....I can't tell you how happy I am for you! Now that's a trip that will be nice to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. where do you get all that energy?! must be all those veggies!=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is good news. I hope things go smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Lemon tree, very pretty, and your lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor leamon is impossible to eat...."

    Sorry, keep singing that every time I hear you talk about the lemon tree.

    WHATEVER YOU DO! DO NOT tell those potential buyers about the lack of internet service. ;) Fingers crossed on the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woot! I am so excited for you that your AZ property sold. I know it will be inconvenient to have to travel back down there to move everything out, but next Christmas will be spent with your family!!

    Good news as well about Leona's upcoming fruit. After reading about yours and Thomas' Myers lemon trees, I so want one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Sending good thoughts your way until all ofthe paperwork signed, sealed and delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all....just keep your fingers crossed that the deal goes through, but as of now we're in escrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear your second home is almost sold! It has been a couple years if I recall correctly. That lemon tree is really loaded with buds! I picked up a meyer last fall but it has yet to flower. Fingers crossed it will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dan, it's been on the market for 300-and-some days! We really had to drop the price, sales are so very slow. The IRS won't be getting any extra money from this sale, we'll barely break even.

    Good luck with your Meyer. Mine is nearly ready to go into a larger pot. Hopefully we won't have to transport it to AZ and back any more or we'd have to buy a bigger truck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic news! I can't wait to see your winter garden next year in WA!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Granny! It sounds like the days of the traveling lemon tree are over. I hope the sale goes through without any hitches.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful news about the pending sale! I will keep my fingers crossed for you that all get's concluded quickly for you. I know it is a hassle to go back down but look at it this way - it will probably be your last round trip down there!

    The lemon tree is doing great. I love seeing those little green nubs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good news. All the best with the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WAHOO! Congrats. Great news. I'll miss seeing your containers of lettuces and such, so I guess we'll have to buy you some compact flourescents! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear that you'll be wintering here in WA next year...and looking forward to seeing what you'll grow in your winter garden...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yippee! Looks like you're going to be able to stay in one place. I'll have my fingers crossed for an easy transition for you. And Leona is giving you babies! Hope she's taking her vitamins.
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's the whole watched pot thing, for sure. Congrats! My snow bird gardening buddy from the East Washington will just be my gardening buddy on the other side of the mountains!

    Love the lemon tree, very pretty! Will you always have to bring it in in the winter? I haven't researched lemons as I don't think they'll grow at all in Wet Washington.

    ReplyDelete