February 27, 2011 - GO!

The first seeds were planted this morning, and are all tucked into their asparagus-crate-turned-nursery. I planted a six pack each of nine varieties of lettuce: Buttercrunch, Iceberg, Little Gem, Mesclun Mix, Parris Island Cos, Red Sails, Rocky Top Mix, Summercrisp and Yugoslavian Red Butterhead.

I had an empty six pack and a four pack left , so I filled them with Tyee spinach.


I also had a six pack of parsley that was planted a week ago, so that filled the flat.

These will live in my warm bathroom until they germinate, then be moved out to the mini-greenhouse in the shed. Getting the greenhouse ready is my project for this afternoon. I have to make a few improvements in my shelf system before the seedlings can go out. The shelf I was using last year warped too badly from the weight and humidity, so I have to think of something different to do....and then try to find what I need in Mr. Granny's very, very messy garage.

*a few minutes later*

What on earth has gotten into Mr. Granny? I found two boards I needed for the greenhouse, and he didn't balk a bit when asked to cut them to length and drill a couple of pilot holes! Then, when I needed to find some 1"x6" boards to form the shelf, he jumped right up and went out to the garage to help! Then he cut them to length! I swear, that's the hardest he's worked all winter ;-) He's not usually this enthusiastic about gardening.


*and later yet*

Whew! That was a job, but I got the mini-greenhouse cleaned out, and the new boards nailed in for the shelf. I had a bit of aluminum bubble insulation, so I installed it on the uninsulated side of the unit, and put what was left over on the other side for a bit of reflective light. The hooks were screwed into the two 1"x6" x4' boards that will be used as the shelf, and to hold the fixtures for the bottom half.


I broke one florescent bulb in the process of hanging them. It loosened up and dropped out right on its end, so will have to be replaced before the lettuce-seedlings-to-be go out there. Or I'll have to borrow a tube from one of the shed's ceiling lights that wasn't working (don't ask me why!). All the tubes in the other three fixtures are working just fine.


All cleaned up and ready for spring! I did get the spoiled squash off the shed counter! It wasn't so bad, because it was still frozen solid. It took a bit of soaking with bleach to finish the cleanup, and there is a bit of a stain, but it is only a shed.


The new "babies" will be all tucked in, snug as a bug in a rug, very soon!

18 comments:

  1. The seedling nursery looks great - all spiffed up and shored up with new timbers. Mr. Granny must have a bit of cabin fever too - sometimes a project sounds more enjoyable than more "resting".

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're gardening, we're gardening! *note cabage patch dance*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kitsap. Now, if only the rest of the shed were cleaned up :-( Oh well, tomorrow is another day, and it's supposed to rain all week. Good shed cleaning weather!

    ********
    But....but....Ribbit, you get to garden on your deck. I have to garden in my bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you ever sit down with your feet up :o)...Sounds like the Kettle and the pot to me ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your setup looks great!

    I used rope lights last year for seed starting, they worked really well. I need to find all my seed starting equipment, I am behind schedule. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali, I was going to put the rope lights in the mini greenhouse, in big plastic blanket boxes and covered in sand. Then the outside temperatures plunged to single digits, so I decided the bathroom would be safer for now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still can't figure out how you get so much done, but I love reading about it. All this gardening work makes spring feel almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dianefaith, I figure I'm so darned old, I have to hurry to get everything done that needs doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: Dianefath....On the other hand, maybe I can slow down a bit. My birth father was 94 years old last December.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great setup you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meems, my son, John, built that for me a couple of years ago. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome spot you have! I'm sure they'll make the move smoothly, and it also looks like you've got room for a little more. Wahoo! Come on, Spring!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, I can get eight flats in there, and still have room for a few small containers. I can also hang a light next to it for the cold weather crops like cabbage and broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a wonderful setup you have there. I could use something like that for later in the season--when my inside rack fills up. What a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice setup to grow things. I can't wait to start my seedlings. I ordered some soil that I can pick up on March 12th so I'm waiting a bit more. Though I keep thinking about going out and getting a small bag to start my strawberries and celery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a neat little place for seedlings. They'll be nice and warm and sunny in there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice setup! And kudos to Mr. Granny for not having you wait for any of it to be up and running! Can't wait to see the first ones peeking up...

    ReplyDelete