August 26, 2012 - House Painting Day 3


The front is nearly finished.  We have to borrow the neighbor's tall ladder to reach the peak on the garage, and I still have to scrape and paint the facia boards.  That should all be finished tomorrow.  At least we got enough painted today to get our house numbers and outdoor lights back up.  I have some serious yard work to do once this painting job is done!  It looks awfully bare with all the barberry bushed pulled out next to the garage.

Daughter Amy tried to talk me out of using three colors on the house, but now that it's done she likes it.



When it got too hot to paint out front, Mr. Granny set up a fan, poured me a diet cola and watched me do a bit of painting on the patio.  I know I'm doing the painting backwards, that I should be painting from the top down, but I didn't want to drag the ladder back there so I only painted up as high as I could reach.  I promise not to drip paint down on the finished boards when I paint the higher ones!  I figure every board painted is one board closer to being done.  I think it's going quite well, don't you?

22 comments:

  1. Wow Granny! I can't believe how much you have done already!! When your finished, you can hop on a plane and come and scrape and paint the trim on my house!! I refuse to do it....so, it will have to wait until next year when I can hire a good painter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I had a few minutes before I have to start dinner, so I grabbed the kitchen stool and got one more board painted on the patio. I'm on a roll today! Of course, I'll probably fall asleep by 7:30 tonight, just like I did last night! I slept for 11 hours straight last night.

      Delete
  2. Soon and you will be all done. You make me think I have to paint my house. Not the outside. It is a plastic house. But the inside was all done in flat paint. Oh how I hate flat paint. Why do builders do that? I've had a couple spots painted in eggshell and that is great. It washes. I really need to buy a couple of gallons and at least start on the stairs. You can't wash flat paint and it is so dirty. Or missing paint where I tried to scrub it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I do eggshell or satin for all my interior painting. Satin for the exterior, as flat just gathers dust.

      Delete
  3. It looks great! I love the richer color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CrazyKwilter. It's still kind of plain vanilla, but not as vanilla as it was!

      Delete
  4. Gosh you are fast, and it looks fantastic! Looks like you will truly be able to sit back and enjoy fall without all the work looming on your list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so, Erin. I have a feeling I'll be needing a nice quiet autumn, and a long winter's rest.

      Delete
  5. It looks great, Granny! Kudos to you, you've worked hard and got a lot done in just the last three days. Happy to hear that Mr. Granny tended to your needs when it got hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison. I didn't get so tired today. Thought I was going to die last night, LOL!

      Delete
  6. It's going great-you must be so happy it's almost done.
    I think that the next time it needs doing, you should just hire a good looking painter guy, pull up a chair, and supervise.
    :D
    LOL


    What?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, for one, I'm too cheap. Secondly, I'm too old to fully enjoy the good looking painter guy.

      What?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbie. I hope we survive to see it finished, LOL!

      Delete
  8. I can not believe how fast you are getting your house painted. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! I love the new color too, it'll hide dirt better than the lighter one, which means less work power washing later on ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anywhere, I didn't like the color at first, before the lighter almond was covered, but once an entire side was done it took on a completely different look. Now I like it.

      Delete
  10. Granny, your harvests look just perfect! Do you believe I haven't sown any carrots yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, does that mean I can tease you with pictures of lots and lots of carrots this fall?

      Delete