August 28, 2012 - House Painting Day 5


Another side finished!  Mr. Granny and I both worked on it this morning, then son-in-law Bryan came over this afternoon and painted the peak.  I'm so thankful for Bry's help!  I thought my arms and shoulders would get sore, but it's my legs and feet that bother me.  My legs get so tired after about 3-4 hours of climbing up and down the ladder.  

I think we'll spend tomorrow doing our "quality control check".  The heavily textured siding always seems to have a few spots here and there that didn't get  fully covered with paint, so we try to check it over once everything is dry, and do the necessary touch ups.  Bryan left his long handled roller here for me to use.  I hate to tell you I have painted everything so far with a 3" paint brush!  

I can also trim the arborvitae (Mr. Granny painted the back of it!), get the sawhorses and boards and ladders all moved out to the back, then give the yard a bit of cleanup.  In other words, regroup a bit before we tackle the back of the house.  I still have to paint the facia on the front of the house, but some of that is going to take some heavy sanding and priming first.  That might be a job for next week.  

14 comments:

  1. I must now take a nap for you since you are so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Just wow. You guys never stop, huh? Looks great. Our house is in need, so we ought to get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefaneener, the recliner in front of the fireplace is beginning to look like a very inviting spot to spend my winter!

      Delete
  3. Does a roller really make it faster with the boards? I would have used a brush too. Now inside I'd use a roller, but the walls are flat and don't have parts that stick out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, Bryan says it does. Like you, I've always used a roller on the interior walls, but a paint brush on those exterior textured boards. I find a roller heavy and difficult to hold with my arthritic hands. Bryan has some very thin ones that have long fibers, and they seem to cover really well.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I remember how badly my calves (no, not cows!) would ache after a day up and down ladders. But on a positive note, keep this up and you'll have the best legs at the dance-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I have such skinny chicken legs, maybe I can build up a bit of muscle!

      Delete
  5. Something tells me you will keep busy even in winter! Your house is looking great from all your hard work and it will be a very satisfying feeling for you when it is all done! Not to mention you can get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I know this is coming up again for us. One house down, one to go. But we have been busy on a few other projects. LOL. Always something! I hope you take a little break between the paint job and the yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, I know. I spent the last 7 years updating the AZ place and getting it just the way we wanted it....then sold it! That was a lot more work than this project.

      Delete
  7. It looks good, and you're going at a pretty good clip.... Almost done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, over half way there! At least the visible part is done, I can take my time on the back sides.

      Your comments are still going into Blogger's spam file. I don't know what to do about it, but at least I know to check there each day.

      Delete