October 16, 2009: It's My Parsnip and I'll Cry if I Want To!

HAH! I sure fooled you guys with that October 23rd. date on October 13th. I was just seeing if you were paying attention! *grin*.

The parsnips have been dug. They weren't as heavy or as impressive as I thought, weighing in at 7 pounds 8 ounces. One huge parsnip was woody as a tree trunk, so it wasn't added to the weight total. I was a bit disappointed that these weren't actually as good as the ones I dug earlier in the season. Those were tender clear through, and had a good flavor. These later ones had really tough unusable cores, so I am only using the outer parts. The flavor is about the same as the earlier ones. I'll not plant them in 2010, as they take up way too much valuable space for the crop I get from them. If Mr. H would eat them, I'd probably plant them, but as it is most are given away.



Big and ugly parsnips.


All cleaned up and trimmed, the largest weighed exactly one pound.


I'm waiting for Dan to comment on this "guy", LOL!


We held a pre-birthday party for grandbaby Alicyn last night, since we'll be gone when she celebrates her first one. It doesn't seem possible that it's been a whole year since THIS happened!


The birthday girl (and young Seahawks fan).


Enjoying her baby cake.


"Oh-oh, here comes Uncle Scott. He's going to touch my cake!"


"He ate my cake! Uncle Scott ate my cake!"

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to!!"


10 comments:

  1. What a darling she is!! And I still see something that looks like you. I think it's her eyes, even though they aren't the same color. Be safe and healthy this winter. Same address?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad she never lost those eyes!!! What a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicyn's eyes just kill me. She is so cute! Have a safe trip Granny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the 1 year old and the cake, classic!

    I wonder why your parsnips were woody? Were they short season varieties? Hmmm... I"ll have to dig up mine sometime this week and have a looky see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you can see the big person in the baby oftentimes.

    Have a lovely winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweetie! That two tooth smile is precious. :D

    So Peter the Parsnip has got a ....

    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got to love the anatomically correct veggies, ha. Alicyn has a beautiful smile, you must be a very proud grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Granny, I don’t know much about parsnips, but when I was looking into cooking with them, most recipes suggested large, older parsnips have woody cores that should be removed as they won’t soften during cooking.

    Looks like Uncle Scott is a meany, he needs to be pinched :)

    Have a safe trip. I already miss you.

    ReplyDelete