August 17, 2013 - Strawberries, Sweet Peppers and Solarizing

The few drops of rain that interrupted my gardening yesterday didn't last but minutes.  I was able to get back out after dinner and finish the job of solarizing the bed for my 2014 carrots.

I had already amended the bed with composted manure and semi-decomposed chopped leaves.  Next I had to dig a trench around the perimeter of the bed, stretch a sheet of clear plastic over it, then bury the edges of the plastic in the trench.  I'll probably just leave the plastic in place until I'm ready for spring planting.  Hopefully this solarizing of the soil will kill any nematodes that might be residing near the surface, and give me a bed that is capable of producing some decent carrots.  I wasn't able to cover the last 12" of the bed, as that area is where this year's peppers are now growing.  I'll probably just plant marigolds at that end next year.

While I was out in the garden, and before it was too dark to do anything more, I picked a few sweet peppers.......

I'll be treating myself to a fajita for dinner.  Too bad Mr. Granny doesn't like peppers or fajitas!  I'll feed him tacos.

This morning I picked 15 ounces of strawberries,  It would have been over a pound, but I procrastinated and ended up tossing a bunch of over ripe, mushy berries away.  They should have been picked last night.  I've been really happy with the Tristar berries this year.  I've picked nearly 34 pounds of them from that 4'x8' bed, and they are still fruiting and blossoming like mad!

I also picked 3 1/2 pounds of tomatoes, mostly Sungolds.  My Black Cherry is dying.  I have a feeling it is pot bound in its container.  I usually use bottomless buckets as containers, but this was a really large planter, so I thought it would be OK.  I picked all the tomatoes that had any color, and I'll be ripping it out this week.

I'll probably not get any more gardening done today, as I will be attending a baby shower.  I'm expecting a new baby great-granddaughter in October!


12 comments:

  1. Congrats on the upcoming great granddaughter. How exciting. They're so cute (and a potential future helper as well!!)

    Hope the solarizing does the trick. We need more carrots in the world! Gosh knows, my darn garden is sure on holiday this year!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I'm sure i'll be right there during delivery, bonding with the new baby!

      I hope solarizing helps, too. If so, I'll do two beds next year! If I had another sheet of plastic, I could do two beds this year. I may buy more, because I really think there will be enough hot weather to solarize yet this fall.

      Delete
  2. I hope your solarizing does the trick for you. I have some marigolds that are called Ground Control because they supposedly kill nematodes. I might still have seed if you want it. They do get large and ramble a bit. I used to whack them back occasionally to keep them under control. I haven't grown them since I quit growing tomatoes though. Though the nematodes aren't gone, they have been much better since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be worth a try, Daphne. I could plant an entire bed in them next spring, then dig them in. At least that's what I've read to do with them...let them grow, then dig them in, then plant. I don't know how that would be managed in one season, so I'd grow, dig, then solarize for 2015. I hope I live that long, with such big plans, LOL!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on another addition to your family!! What a blessing to be around your grand and great grand children while you are so active and healthy in life :) Touchwood! Your strawberry count will be very useful to me as I have just planted all star strawberries in a 4X8 bed this year! I hope I get as many pounds too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Random. I hope you have wonderful luck with your Tristars. My berries aren't very large, but they are plentiful and the flavor is excellent.

      Delete
  4. Well, congratulations! An October baby is extra special, you know. I was an October baby! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. R., a new baby girl in the family will be so nice. When granddaughter Alicyn (another October baby) was born, we left the next day for AZ and I didn't see her again until she was six months old. I'll be around all through this baby's infancy. I think I'll get plenty of rocking chair time :-D

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the soon new little granddaughter! What fun! Maybe a future gardener too! We have two sons birthdays in Oct. and one granddaughter's. Hope you get lots of carrots next year! Nice strawberries! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy, but this will be a GREAT-granddaughter! My fifth great-grandchild!

      My son, John, was born on Halloween. I always told him the stork brought the others, but a witch flew him in on a broom, LOL!

      Delete
  6. Pretty please! Could I have your blackberry syrup recipe? Nancy

    ReplyDelete