August 18, 2013 - Hell Froze Over Today

My neighbors cut down their 6-foot high weeds along the fence!  I hope they keep it that way now, but at least I don't have to worry about all the crabgrass and milkweed seeds dropping over into my garden.  They mowed their lawn, too.  It hadn't been mowed in over two weeks.  In fact, the entire family came  and worked on the yard over the weekend, the sister (local) and the parents (Idaho).  I don't think I mentioned before that the woman who bought the place a couple of years ago lost her job, moved back to Idaho, and her recently divorced son has been living there since before Christmas.  With all the work going on this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see a "for sale" sign going up soon.

On My Side of the Fence

The baby shower for my granddaughter was very nice.  The food was good, and I ate too much, so I skipped dinner last night.  One thing I couldn't stay away from was the big bowl of red and green seedless grapes, with a sauce made of sour cream, cream cheese and brown sugar.  Oh, my, it was good!  I think someone there may have eaten four or five helpings, but I'm not saying who it was  ;-)

I did get home in time to get out to the garden for a bit.  I harvested.....




I didn't mean to pick the butternut squash.  I was pulling the grass along the fence, and I lifted the squash up to get it out of my way, and the stem broke.  I'll let it sit outside for a few days to cure, then it should be good eating.  I spied the big zucchini from outside the garden.  I'd missed it when I looked for them earlier.  

Today I made the zucchini into two loaves of bread, froze the strawberries for smoothies, snapped, blanched and froze a gallon of green beans, and made a pot of cream of broccoli soup from the leeks and broccoli I'd picked earlier this week.  Oh, my, it is good!  

 Three containers of broccoli soup for the freezer.

Two loaves of zucchini bread (minus a goodly sized sample) for youngest son.  He likes his with raisins, no nuts.  I was out of raisins, so I hope he likes dates.

 I picked my biggest harvest basket full of sweet peppers.

Then I worked on what used to be the potted plant garden.  The Black Cherry tomato recently wilted and died.  I thought it might have been root bound, but the roots looked just fine.  The potting soil was just slightly damp, not waterlogged or dry, so I have no idea what killed it.  I decided to remove the rosemary from its pot and plant it at the corner.  It was getting root bound, so it should do much better now.  The basil and chives got tossed, as I have so much of both growing elsewhere.  I still have some more cleanup to do in this area.  I want to remove the strawberries from their planters and put them out in the garden, then try to kill out the oxalis that has taken over this entire bed.  I still have all the pots to wash and disinfect before they are stored for the winter.

Next I removed another dead/dying tomato from the main garden.  I think I'm down to about five plants that aren't showing any disease yet, with two more that need to be removed soon and another that is "iffy".  

I'm pooped out.  I think I'll make Mr. Granny take me out to dinner tonight.  


13 comments:

  1. Hi Granny,

    I follow Two Men's blog and see your comments quite often, so this evening I decided to run over to your place (don't ya just LOVE the virtual world?) and check out your blog. Oh, my! Beautiful gardens and how ever do you do all the stuff you cram in a day?? I'm tired just reading it! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Tammy! And thank you for the compliment :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I hope Mr Granny did indeed take you out. Your a workaholic, I swear. I don't think many people can keep up with you. I think just the baby shower would have done me in. And WHOEVER ate all the grape salad hopefully got the recipe? Cuz I'm sure WHOEVER would probably eat some more, given the chance.
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he did, Sue. And I ate too much again. Added to the overindulgence at the shower, I gained over a pound, so I'd better dig a garden row today, LOL! And yes, she who shall not be named did get the recipe, because she certainly will eat it again if given the chance.

      Delete
  3. You are a busy lady! Beautiful harvests. I also blanched and freezed my beans yesterday for the first time. It was fairly easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4theluvof, it is easy and fast. I don't mind that job at all.

      Delete
  4. And pigs can fly. I swear I saw one in that first photo. It must be nice to have that weed patch down finally. I resorted to pushing hay under one section of my solid cedar fence. It might be solid, but the seeds kept blowing under and all that garlic mustard was sprouting all over that section of the garden. So I shoved the hay up against the fence so it won't blow in. Now I wish there were a way to chink up the tiny gaps in the fence. At least the small gaps aren't as much of an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, it really is. They didn't pull the roots, just cut everything down, but at least it keeps the seeds from forming for now.

      Delete
  5. You are a very hard worker! And your garden reflects it. I sure hope your neighbor does put a For Sale sign up and you have seen the last of those weeds forever! That soup looks great! Maybe you could post the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutmeg, I really don't want them to move. They are very nice people, and we could certainly get someone worse.

      I used the recipe here, with a couple of minor changes:

      http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-cream-of-broccoli-soup/

      I used fresh leeks instead of onions, added a couple of small potatoes, and I used a can of condensed skim milk instead of cream. I pureed it with a stick blender.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it is a pity you don't get to choose your neighbours! Mine are decent folks, but not the slightest bit interested in gardening. It always grieves me to see the apples on their tree rotting and falling off - never harvested. My veg garden is right outside my back door, so I often go out and do a few minutes' worth of gardening several times a day, in between other chores. I find it very therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, I'd like to keep these neighbors, but hire a gardener for them! The previous owner had a yard man, who kept the property mowed and weeded, and she let me plant vegetables in that strip of land along the fence for her to use. I always enjoyed putting in beans, cucumbers and tomatoes for her.

      Delete
    2. Mark, Have you asked if you could pick your neighbor's apples? Maybe in exchange for a pie or something. Just a thought.

      Delete