August 22, 2013 - No More Poo in the Garage!

As you know, Mr. Granny wasn't exactly happy when I unloaded a yard of cow poop onto the garage floor, right next to our brand new car.  I've been taking as much as I could, by bucket or wheelbarrow, out to the garden, and amending the newly empty beds. Well, today he helped me load the last of it into the dump trailer, and we got it all moved out of the garage and into the garden shed.  Except, that is, for one wheelbarrow load that will be pushed into the garden tomorrow.  He is now a happy man.  Now that he has a garage that is half empty, he can start shopping for a pickup.  Then I can haul more cow poo, store it in the pickup bed, and park it in the garage!  Nah, I wouldn't do that to him.  But it's a thought!


A shed full of poo.

After putting 7 freshly picked crookneck squash out by the street yesterday morning, with a "free" sign, I only had two taken.  By evening the other 5 had cooked in the sun all day, so they went to the compost.  This morning the daughter stopped in for coffee, and I told her about the squash.  She said she wanted them from now on, that she forgot to tell me they were great when juiced with her other veggies and greens.  So I'm happy the five I picked this afternoon will have a happy home.  I was going to pull the remaining squash plant, but now it gets a reprieve.

Today I spent an easy day inside, tending to laundry and mopping the kitchen floor.  Then I went out to pick the veggies, and tracked dirt back all over the floor I'd just mopped.  It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya!  I needed something to cheer me up, so I went shopping.  I bought some capris, a printed T-shirt and a white blouse, all on clearance for twenty dollars plus tax.  That cheered me up.  Not only that, the capris were a size 8, rather than my usual size 10, and they fit perfectly.  Woohoo!!

I hope the smaller clothing size wasn't due to my loss of blood recently.  I have managed to get poked in the back with a branch (blood on my shirt), got my left middle finger wedged between shovel and trailer while loading cow poo (grabbed a paper towel and turned it red), grated my right thumb knuckle while grating cheese for tonight's pizza (thankfully bandaids were handy) and got a bloody nose while out in the garden (that was a first!).  I also pinched my right index finger in the needle nose pliers while prying off some fence clips (no blood, just a painful blister).  

I did get yesterday's frozen beans and peppers bagged today, and made the excess tomatoes into 1-1/2 quarts of juice.  That needs to go in the freezer, so I sure hope I can pack things a bit tighter to make room!  





25 comments:

  1. lol...that is my routine at this time of year..I track dirt right back into the house after cleaning the floor,too........why do I bother....All that garden work makes those clothes shrink, too! They say you get a workout gardening..and I know you work hard out there...robbie:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know Robbie! I haven't packed my "fat" clothes away, as I plan on being a couch potato all winter. Floors are like bodies. I took a bath and washed my hair this morning, then went out and shoveled cow poop all afternoon! In the heat! I probably smell like a sweaty barnyard, LOL!

      Delete
  2. What with the way you work, I'm surprised your capris weren't smaller than that!!

    That is good looking composted cow poo. Mine is less composted and more poo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Ray, I hope they don't get any smaller than that.

      It is nice cow poo to work with. Last year's cow poo looked like rabbit poo. I never did figure out how they turned it into perfectly round pellets!

      Delete
  3. Ouch! All those boo-boos! I hope Mr. Granny kissed them better. Kudos on fitting into a smaller size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, Mr. Granny's not a great boo-boo kisser, but he's a pretty good bandaid applier :-) I worked long and hard to fit into that size, let's hope I can stay there this time!

      Delete
  4. I think you were doing worse that me this week. My husband wanted to know what was up with all the band aids on my hands. The first cut was from cutting plums, the second was from grating cheese, the third was from my mandolin while I was cleaning it. I usually don't hurt myself so much inside. Out in the garden I'm always cutting or scraping myself. I've always got some bruise or cut on my legs during gardening season. I'm glad I keep my tetanus shot up to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I didn't even mention bending over to pick up the shovel and hitting my head on the lawn mower, LOL! That throbbed for a while, but didn't draw blood. I'm such a wuss about pain, I'm surprised I garden at all.

      Delete
    2. Oh and I forgot to mention, while pruning back that HUGE broccoli plant that toppled in the wind last week, somehow I got tangled up with the plant and the long handled loppers and poked the tip of a blade into my left index finger. I've gone through a lot of bandaids this week :-(

      Delete
  5. An easy day inside tending laundry and mopping the floor? I hate to mop and tend to think of the garden work as "easy days" and mopping days as the hard work. (And that opinion stands no matter how hard I work outside.)

    I am sorry you have hurt yourself several times lately. Be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristy, it's been a full week of loading, hauling and digging in all that poo, so floor mopping was actually a relief!

      Delete
  6. You be careful now....we don't like to hear about your bloody accidents! We love you too much ....Just keep blogging about your nice garden produce- makes my day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Random, I promise not to tell any more bloody tales. Unless it's a real doozy, LOL!

      Delete
  7. My goal this winter is not to pack on the 10 pounds that I have to take off in the spring. I bike the Mississippi River from spring to early winter. It is inevitable that after I sit around a month our two before spring, I put on the winter 10!
    After working in our garden during 90 degree weather, I just smell from sweat. I can't imagine cow poop added into that mix-lol
    I want you to know that I still venture over to my blogger account to visit your website. You are one of my top 3 people to read. I know I am not alone! It is always a joy to read your posts, you make me laugh, and I learn a lot from your posts...and drool over your productive garden...you make it look effortless which I know it is not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie, I worked pretty hard to take off the extra weight, so I weigh myself every single morning and only allow myself a 5 pound leeway or I'll have to cut back the calories. I've logged my weight for the last 268 days! As soon as the gardening season is over, I'll drag out the stationary bike and the exercise DVD, so I can hopefully make it through the winter and not grow out of my new wardrobe ;-)

      Thank you for your kind words. I hope you always feel that way.

      Delete
  8. Yay for poo! I mean yay for no poo! I'm happy for Mr. Granny. I don't have band aids to show anywhere on my body but I've got hundreds of mosquito bites! That should amount to a considerable blood loss, shouldn't it? Yet not a single pound lost. Congratulations on dropping 2 sizes! Size 8 looks very becoming on you. I still have my mental picture of you doing the Granny Shake fresh in my mind! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Mrs. R. Now that the fall lettuce is beginning, maybe I can do the Granny Shake to keep those pounds off!

      I hate mosquito bites! Our town sprays for them, so I don't have that problem here. Living so close to the river, we'd really have problems with them if they didn't spray. Out in the county, where they don't spray, they've discovered West Nile virus in the mosquitos. Bats would worry me more, though. We had a rabid bat bite a baby nearby a few weeks ago.

      Delete
  9. Out of necessity (we have CLAY where I live), there is a local trick to avoid tracking into the house.
    Extra pair of outside shoes: Crocs.
    They rest just outside the back door and slip on and off like a charm.
    No more mud, dirt, dust, leaves or other icky business on the floor.
    Try it-it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have a pair of garden shoes (mine are slip-on water shoes) that always reside on the patio, just outside the door. The problem is that one actually has to put them on, or they don't work!

      Delete
  10. I think you worked harder taking care of your booboos than I did doing actual work this week. You're an amazing, if quite sassy, woman, Granny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Langela. Unfortunately the booboos are holding me back a bit. I tried to put some twine up for the peas last night, and no way could I use the scissors with the painful gouge out of my thumb knuckle.

      Delete
  11. Wow, Granny you'd better be careful out there! No more losing blood! But congratulations on the size 8s! No surprise with how much work you do each day. I want some of that work ethic to rub off on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutmeg, I think I just need to keep buying that particular brand of clothing. I never be able to squeeze into a size 8 in my Lee Riders ;-)

      Delete
  12. This gardening business is obvously dangerous work! Hope you OH has done a First Aid course... Is that cow poo "processed" or something? It looks quite dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, it is composted dairy manure that I buy from our local nursery. I buy a cubic yard of it every year for the garden, it's pretty good stuff and not terribly smelly. In 2011, I purchased their more expensive "leaf and twig" compost instead, and had the lowest yielding garden ever!

      Delete