I hate to say it Granny, but if you eat that crap, you get what you deserve!Thanks; I was facing a few hours extra work this evening instead of going to the pub, and was a bit arsed off with it, but now I can't stop laughing!!!
I hope you were not opening the door when that thing exploded.
oops... ugh...I hate when that happens... you're not the only one that can't read the fine print :)
Ah, TIG, I got sucked into buying a box of six packages of "that crap" the last time I went to Costco, and if all three varieties taste as bad as this one, they'll all go down the disposal! It seemed a good choice of brown, white and wild rices to fix in 90 seconds on days I'm too busy watering or potting up all those seedlings that are taking over my life.
John, I only opened the door after it sounded as if I'd been shot! Bummer, 'cause I had just given the microwave a good cleaning.
Sunny, too bad the only thing I looked at was on the front, "cooks in 90 seconds". I should have read the back of the package!
Consider it an exciting lesson in steam pressure and stress points in plastic packaging!You got an education, some entertainment, and it became calorie-neutral thanks to the cleanup effort..talk about bang for your buck! (so to speak)
Aw... Have you tried the boil in the bag type? I have better luck with that kind.
i think i got you beat, granny, with appliance mishaps...yesterday i preheated my oven, forgetting i had stored plastic trays in there. NOT GOOD!
Just stick the dogs in there to lick it up. Don't turn the microwave on, of course....
I was going through my blogroll this morning to see if all the links worked and came across your post. You did make me laugh! Sorry it was at your expense!. I do things like buying those stupid things at Costco. But their soooooo cheap! Who can resist. I'll be back to see what other mischief you get into!
Oh no! The mess isn't *too* bad... Reminds me of the time I forgot to cover butter I was melting, and added an extra 0 to the time. Yeah, there's no cleaning all the exploded butter out of a microwave... It still crackles when I use the microwave for a long period of time LOL.
I'm howling! Thanks for the laugh! That's tttooooo funny! Last year my mum came to visit me and got some deleicious chocolates ... she said 'have as many as you like dear' ... so I did ... what she didn't say was read the fineprint! I had diarrea for days! That's just too funny! Have a great week-end Granny!
Nickie, it's not nice to laugh at old people ;-) I laugh at myself quite enough.********Rebecca, it was calorie negative, because it tasted so awful I tossed it all in the garbage disposal. My daughter will get the unopened packages, she actually likes it. I buy the steam-fresh veggies, they already have their packages vented, and they taste good!********MommyAmy, yes...I like the success rice, and it's no fail!********Oh, no, Kelli! What a mess that must have been. I melted an "ovenproof" TV dinner container in my gas oven once, I had it too close to the side of the oven, where it gets really hot. That stunk to high heavens!My washer died about an hour ago :-( Made a horrid noise and now the tub is loose and won't spin.********LOL, Ribbit! I don't think I could lift Annie that high!********Lee Oliphant, I doubt you'll have to wait too long. You must have missed the post where I burned up the label on my new frying pan. That was rather messy, too. Who knew they put big paper labels on the outside bottoms of the pans? That's just not right.********Momma_S, Mr. H uses margarine, and it pops all over the inside of the microwave. I just hate when he decides he wants popcorn, with lots of melted margarine.********Kiwi Gomes, Oh, no....I guess we should always read the fine print! You have a great weekend too. I have to go shopping for a new clothes washer :-(
Mom once forgot to vent a spaghetti squash before microwaving it, blew the door open on the microwave and threw strings of squash the length of the kitchen. Luckily no one was in kitchen at time as I doubt getting hit by a hot 4 lbs squash would feel good.
Lol, so sorry AG!
Oh no...poor Gran. I've never been into Uncle Ben's. Rice o Roni is more my style. :)
DaBeardedOne, I've blown up a few things in the oven, mainly beans or an occasional potato (even a poked one), but a 4 pound squash....man, that would be one big mess! By the way, you'd better make up another garden bed, and start liking tomatoes and peppers. Looks like I'll have 100% germination on quite a few ;-)********It was pretty funny, Kelly, but it sure was loud!********You aren't missing anything, Thomas. It was nasty tasting stuff. If I want a good instant rice, I go for success boil in the bag. It never fails.
Your (and the other commenter) stories just crack me up! I have had my share of melted plastic, blown up food, and food cooked excessively due to an extra "0" or two being added to the microwave timer. I had one baked potato cooked in the microwave for an exceedingly excessive amount of time - that was like a stone when I finally realized what was happening and stopped it from continueing to be "cooked". I expect I could put it outside and 2,000 years from now they would find it - still intact and rock hard - and wonder at what religion must have existed that mummified potatoes!
Kitsap, I'd have used that potato as a door stop ;-)
That's hilarious! I love these little snippets of life :)
Things like that always happen when you've just cleaned something lol. I remember one time my mum put a can of Coke in the freezer to 'chill it down for 10 minutes', Of course she forgot about it, and it sounded like a bomb had gone off LOL.
Erin, why do they seem to happen more often, the older I get? LOL!********Kyna, my husband has done that. He also puts open cans of Coke in the refrigerator, where I manage to knock them over so they spill all over everything. Or I just get the kitchen stove all spotless, drip pans and all, and he decides to cook his own breakfast....everything fried and spattered all over.
LOL! If these people would just fess up and admit we all have done something in those dadburn microwaves. At least it didn't catch on fire like some things a certain unnamed person has done. When will we learn to 'read the fine print'. LOL!
Hocking Hills, how true. I have a "potato baker" that looks somewhat like an oven mitt. I've used it several times this past year, with no problems. The last time, though, a hole burned right through the fabric. I never warm taco shells in the microwave any more, as I always manage to burn holes in them.
Shoot, it has nothing to do with age sometimes, Granny. I recently exploded something with dark brown sauce in it all over the microwave. What a lovely cleanup job that was. :(
LOL - I hate covert instructions, but blech... I can't stomach that pre-made junk. I tried a bag once in a pinch and it was weird tasting.
Meredith, thank you for making Granny feel better ;-)********Kate, it is awful stuff! My daughter just loves it, which is a good thing....she gets the other five packages!
Some day I'll tell you our microwave fire story. . .
I was roasting eggplant in the oven once and suddenly remembered that I had not vented it - after it exploded all over the inside of the oven.