August 4, 2008 - Were You Talking To Me?

My next door neighbors are always peeking over the fence to see what's growing in my garden. Yesterday I heard them talking, so I walked out to visit with them. As I came across the lawn I heard Stan say to Pat "She's getting fatter than a little pig!" Well. I have to admit, I have put on a few pounds this summer. It's all those servings of veggies from my garden....you know, the zucchini cake, the fried zucchini, the buttered squash. But really, did Stan have to actually say so? I told him he wasn't very nice to say that about me, and he tried to cover his a$$ by saying he was talking about my dog. I told him Annie is NOT fat, her head is just too small for her body. She weighs a full pound less than her brother, Otter, and he doesn't look fat at all. But he has a huge head. Annie can't do anything about the size of her head. Besides, my Mother always said "Small head full of wit, big head full of $hit". Annie does seem to be the more intelligent of the two dogs. Otter is just sweet and very handsome! He's also a "guy's kinda guy". Last night I caught him watching football with Mr. Husband!


Otter watching football
Dinner last night was almost entirely from either the garden or the produce stand up the road. We had a delicious Swiss Steak made with my very own tomatoes and green pepper, along with a couple of Walla Walla sweet onions from the produce stand. With that we had fresh green beans (garden) mixed with crookneck squash (garden) and sweet corn (produce stand), steamed Yukon Gold potatoes (produce stand) and sliced cucumbers (garden) with ranch dressing (store).
From the garden, August 3
I've already begun planning my gardens for next year. I'm sure I'll change my mind a hundred times or so, but I'm doing them on graph paper to scale with several different plans to chose from.
This week we will put up another wire fence to keep the puppies from the back part of the yard. I have decided this area will never be very good for a lawn again, since the tree came down in the windstorm and most of that section of lawn is now covered in wood chips. So I might as well turn it into garden beds! It will more than double what I'm gardening now, so I'll have room for such things as corn, pole beans and cole crops. I think I can use the cedar fencing that we'll be tearing down to make room for the new fence, and make raised beds from them.

Garden Plan 2009
This photo isn't very clear, but it includes corn, pole beans, peppers, beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, bush beans, zucchini, butternut squash, crookneck squash, sunflowers, marigolds and nasturtiums. Each square is one foot, so that's crowding in a lot of produce! Of course, I haven't gone out to actually measure the garden area, so I might have to make some drastic changes before it's all said and done.


Here's a plan for one of the 4'x4' gardens, each square equaling 6-inches. It has cabbage, dill, garlic onions, nasturtiums and marigolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment