September 4, 2009: The Battle of the Vac Bags



Last year I was happy that Reynolds came out with their Handi-Vac® Vacuum Food Storage System as a low cost alternative to those expensive FoodSaver® systems. I immediately purchased the starter kit and a box of gallon sized bags. To say that I was underwhelmed would be an understatement. Not only was the battery operated air sucker temperamental (sometimes it worked great, others not so well), I found that most of the bags that I did manage to pull the air from leaked the air right back in after a few weeks in the freezer. On top of that, there was no way one could get a full gallon of food in a gallon bag. The food had to sit too low in the bag to allow the vacuum do its job. The final straw was that the bags couldn't be reused, except as a plain plastic bag.....the vacuum system would not work on a bag after opening it. I like to take out small amounts and then reseal the bag and return it to the freezer, and for that, the vacuum system was worthless. The Reynolds system went to the back of the drawer, never to be used again.

Being a sucker for any new gadget I find in the grocery store, I fell for this year's Ziploc® Brand Vacuum Freezer System. So far I'm impressed. Although the vacuum is hand operated, rather than battery operated, it works very easy and takes less time to expel the air than the Reynolds. It's not so touchy, I didn't have to get it exactly centered to begin pumping out the air. The bags are longer, allowing the full amount of food to be put in and still leaving room to suck out the air. It's smaller and easier to store, and easier to take apart to clean. The double "zipper" on the Ziploc bags closes easier and tighter than the single zipper on the Reynolds bags. And the clincher? I opened a Ziploc bag of frozen bell pepper strips, removed a few, zipped it shut and about four pumps of the vacuum sucked the air back out just fine.

11 comments:

  1. I've always used the FoodSaver, and was really happy to find Menards now carries a bag to work with it that costs half as much.
    No matter what system you use, you're still saving tons of money. It beats the heck out of those old plastic freezer boxes---remember them? Gawd, everything coated with ice crystals. Foil wasnt' any better. Times are good, aren't they?
    You have a wonderful weekend. I'm heading out Sunday-----will post pics on my blog.....and will try my darndest to catch up when able with your blog.....but it's so hard to type with hubby sleeping SIX INCHES AWAY!!
    Take care, and thanks again for the trip idea!!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, you and hubby have a safe trip and a wonderful time! I'm looking forward to the travel pictures, as they'll go in my "Sue" folder in my wallpaper file!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of those vacuum bag gadgets. I once had to dehydrate and store a lot of food for a 3 week rafting trip down the grand canyon. I never really liked them all that much, but a little thing that takes it out of a resealable bag would be nice. Personally I like that it doesn't use batteries. Batteries always have to be replaced (and are toxic waste). Hand operated things work well. But I tend to like hand operated things better. I think they don't fail as easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been contemplating the Food Saver for awhile, but haven't jumped yet! One thing about that air leaking in, many vegetables/fruit actually expel air as they freeze so that is why you will find a puffy bag even though you packed it flat! This always happens to my bags of berries. I will have to check into the Ziploc system, that will probably be a winter purchase for me this year, as I am freezing more and more each year. Thanks for doing the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daphne, It would be great for taking things camping, as it reduces the size of the bags and keeps everything dry. And I agree...no batteries to have to replace.

    ********
    Erin, I'd love a Food Saver, but I just can't justify the cost for the little bit that I freeze. My neighbor has one I could borrow, I guess I should try it out. The Reynolds bags I had the problem with contained pre-frozen chicken breasts. I wanted to remove two or three and then reseal the bag, but it wouldn't suck the air out after I opened it. And those were the bags that puffed back up with air. Ziploc freezer bags would have worked as well, and been much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tag, you're it!! I dont know if you participate in tags, but I tagged you for a meme "7 things you dont know about me" Play along if you are so inclined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely want one of those Ziplock systems - the hand pump is very appealing to me and since I tend to use Ziplock freezer bags anyway, this would be a logical next step for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, MissyM. I don't know about tags or memes, but I got caught with that one before. You can read the seven things you don't know about me at http://annieskitchengarden.blogspot.com/2009/06/june-12-2009-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. KitsapFG, it sure works easier than the Reynolds. I think you'd like it. I have only tried it on the quart sized bags so far, I need to get some gallon bags for my next harvest of bush beans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reynolds actually quit making their vacuum system this year. I know because I bought one and now I can't find any of the bags! It actually worked great for me, so I was disappointed to find out that it was discontinued. The Ziplock vacuum bags were supposed to work with it too - but they don't. I was going to get the Ziplock vacuum tool, but didn't want to get stuck with yet another tool I couldn't use. So, I caved and bought the FoodSaver V2240. The only thing that I don't like about it is that you can not control the vacuuming - it is all automatic. It vacuums until it decides that's enough, and then immediately starts sealing the bag, whether all the air is out or not. Most of the time it is fine - but I have gotten a few not-so-vacuumed bags :(
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sylvana, I'm also disappointed in Reynolds. I wasted money by buying theirs, which is now discontinued. As much as I like the Ziplock, I have not been able to find bags for it, so it's also a useless tool. I'm about ready to buy some bags and just borrow my neighbor's FoodSaver!

    ReplyDelete