April 4, 2014 - Peas, Please

Hoory!  Our irrigation water came on today!  I was a bit worried about the seeds that had already been planted, as we've had no rain and a lot of drying winds.  I tried to keep things semi-damp with $$$ house water, about 30 minutes of it twice a week.  Our irrigation water is flat rate, April-October, and we have to pay if we use it or not, so I definitely take advantage of it.

I already had a sprinkler set up at the fence to cover the newly seeded areas, so Mr. Granny went out and turned on the faucet to check the pressure.  The water had been on for about 3 days, but it takes a while to build up enough pressure to begin actually using it.  I was soooooo happy when I saw that Rainbird sprinkler doing its job!

As I looked at it, I thought I detected a double row of green at the end of the kennel garden.  Could that be my sugar snap peas?  I was out there two days ago, and there was no sign of any germination.  I grabbed the camera and went out to get a picture, and sure enough....both rows of peas are up!  Germination looked to be excellent, but I was standing in the spray of the sprinkler, and couldn't get any closer without getting drowned.

L to R: Garlic, radishes,  Chantenay carrots, Danvers carrots, sugar snap peas, more radishes.


The small lettuce bed, under bird protection, is beginning to show some real growth. Front to back, 9 each Little Gem, Anuenue and Yugoslavian Red lettuce.  Six Winter Density, 9 Sierra and 9 Jericho lettuce plants are in the kennel garden, under the netting.  That, along with the spinach that has also been planted, should be giving us some nice salads soon.

18 comments:

  1. Isn't it the most exciting thing to see those teeny-tiny bits of green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lynda, and quite a surprise! The sweet peas have yet to show.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking good -- of course! I'm wondering if you're in the midst of a pollen blast. The air is thick with the particles here and every surface is covered with yellow. Not complaining, but I had forgotten how intense it can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianefaith, I thought it was snowing at 65F yesterday, LOL! I think that's Mr. Granny's problem with his sore throat and loss of voice, because he hasn't been running a fever at all. We'll blame it on spring allergies.

      Delete
  3. You have peas! Well pea plants I just planted mine today. I've got to get the carrots in next time I have a chance. But I might do the radishes first. I haven't decided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, I did a whole lot of seed gluing through the winter! I'm going to attempt to get the main carrot bed done today, if the wind doesn't blow.

      Delete
    2. I just planted my peas last Saturday! I can't believe how early Granny's garden is coming in.

      Delete
    3. Jody, we've had an unusually warm April!

      Delete
  4. Looks good Granny! It's always nice to see your first seeds sprouting for the new season. I plan on spending the weekend down at my community garden plots, the weather here in PA is suppose to be nice. I plan on building some raised beds, Home Depot has their landscape timbers on sale this weekend! Take care 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4theluv, I'm happy to hear you can finally get started! You've not had the best of weather this year, that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for peas, Granny! I love my spring peas. One crop that I never fail to sow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, last year's mislabelling of the sugar snap peas was so disappointing. I changed seed companies this year, so maybe I'll actually get edible pods.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is so great! I learn more about gardening through your blog. So inspiring. Thanks for sharing.
    Endah, Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Endah Murniyyati. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  7. Love the peas--but it's spinach I'm most anticipating.Where did you say you planted that......heh heh.....just curious.....heh heh.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Sue, if you promise not to tell anyone else.............
      I think I'll rip out or thin out the overwintered spinach this week and just steam and bag it for the freezer. Those thick leaves don't look all that appetizing for salads, and there are a lot of baby plants elsewhere in the garden.

      Delete
  8. It's nice to see some veggies growing. I don't have anything growing outside yet, my garlic has not even broke ground. Any luck spring might come soon.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, my garlic is probably at least 12" high! It's my best year ever for garlic.

      Delete